Staying south vs downtown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been to Cozumel many times. At least 12 different trips. Once at an all inclusive, all other times I stayed downtown. Cheaper lodging, closer to the great food and atmosphere of "Cozumel". Boat rides are typically 45-60 minutes each way on the fast 6 packs.

Well, this time I wanted to try something different. Something closer to the lazy relaxed ease and access to diving I get on a liveaboard.

I chose to rent a condo at Residencias Reef located pretty far south on San Francisco Beach. What a pleasure. 5-10 minute boat rides. Pier on site. We also picked a 1st floor unit so we had direct access to the beach from our terrace. High speed internet, satellite TV, washer dryer, full kitchen, bottled water, daily cleaning.

full.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen the Residencias Reef area from the dive boat many times and it looks very nice. It's also close to at least one nice restaurant, isn't it? What are the dining options (other than cooking for yourself) close by? And what does a taxi ride into San Miguel cost?

We ate breakfast and lunch in the condo. Laying in my lounge chair on the beach, my wife walked out through the terrace and told me, lunch will be ready in 5 minutes. We went to town for dinners. Taxi was 200 pesos each way. Did not know of a restaurant close to the condo.

After this experience, the decision is do I want to be close to the diving (south) or close to the food (downtown). Nice to have options.

I should also plug my favorite Cozumel dive operator, Aldora. As many already know, 75+ minute dives, pier pickup/drop off, store and setup gear.

Last edited:
Isn't Alberto's Beach Bar and Grill relatively close? It is at Km 18 south (or thereabouts), near to the Iberostar. Can't be very far from the Residencias Reef complex.

Isn't Alberto's Beach Bar and Grill relatively close? It is at Km 18 south (or thereabouts), near to the Iberostar. Can't be very far from the Residencias Reef complex.
Thanks, I will have to give them a try next trip and research about restaurant options south of town.

Do you rent a car for food etc.. shopping or taxi?

...I chose to rent a condo at Residencias Reef located pretty far south on San Francisco Beach. What a pleasure.....

I did exactly the same a couple of year's ago, the last week of January. 90% of meals in the condo. I wanted a very peacefully several days with almost no social contact beyond diving. I never saw more than 3 - 8 people at a time on the grounds/beach, but heard TV's and talking on the balcony's. No DJ, no pool parties, just about silence. I just wanted to read and completely 'de-stress'. It worked perfectly.

Most of the time I stay at Casa Mexicana and love the downtown atmosphere, but sometimes a Coz vacation is not a reboot,,,,it's a full "cut the cord".

Last edited:
We live and work in NYC. For vacation, we like to go the opposite direction. Peace, quiet, few people.

Taxi to downtown was 200 pesos each way. We hit the Mega after dinner a few times for breakfast/lunch supplies.

Morning coffee.

full.jpg

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
For the past several years we have booked at the Residencias Reef condos as well for the reasons listed above. I can sleep with my windows open with absolutely zero noise from bars, cars or roosters It would be a bonus if there were more dining options nearby, but worth sacrificing the convenience if it means significantly shorter boat rides. An afternoon drink along with this view is the icing on the cake:)
IMG_0733-2.jpg

Do you rent a car for food etc.. shopping or taxi?
I definitely would rent a car. The cab fares get steep that far south on the island. We rent a car from ISIS and really don't mind the 15-20 minute drive into town for dinner and groceries. On a couple of nights I will order an extra pizza from Guidos, or some extra empanadas from Del Sur and heat them up the following night for dinner.

Great picture. Been home for over a week, but I still think about Cozumel daily.

Have no idea what car rentals cost. Taxi to/from downtown was 200 pesos. $18 exchange rate came to roughly $10 each way for dinner. We ate dinner in town everyday, so $20 a day for taxis. I was comfortable paying that and not having to worry about drinking, driving, parking, gas, insurance, wild scooter drivers, etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom