Staying south vs downtown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to fluctuate quite a bit.

It seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Going to Cozumel last December it was $163 and coming back it was $115. It's $10.50 US if you pay with US dollars but only $8.95 ($163 MX) US if you pay with pesos. That's why I always leave Mexico with a few pesos. I'm quoting the current price on the Ultramar web site but like you said that is not the actual price.

Yes, I was expecting $163 and was pleasantly surprised when it was less. And, I do the same with pesos for the same reason!!

Last edited:
Did you have to pay to use their pier? I seem to recall reading about a change in policy there a couple of years ago and guests not diving with the in house dive were not able to use the pier. I think a read posts about people being forced to wade into the water to board the boats. Though I might be mistaken on the property.

Also did you use the Residencia restaurant(s) and if so how were they? Is it pay as you go or do you need to purchase a meal plan?

Thanks,
PH

Residencia is a condo complex, not a hotel or all inclusive. This no meal plan option or restaurant or in house dive operator. You might be thinking of Secrets the all inclusive resort next door.

No charge to use the pier.

Last edited:
Did you have to pay to use their pier? I seem to recall reading about a change in policy there a couple of years ago and guests not diving with the in house dive were not able to use the pier. I think a read posts about people being forced to wade into the water to board the boats. Though I might be mistaken on the property.

Also did you use the Residencia restaurant(s) and if so how were they? Is it pay as you go or do you need to purchase a meal plan?

Thanks,
PH

You are likely thinking of the Iberostar. No charge at Secrets to use their pier for outside ops.

Thanks,
PH

I have stayed at the Residencias Reef several times over the past 6-7 years. Immediately next door is the Sabor and Secrets resort. Several years ago we were charged around $2-3 per person to use the pier. This fee seemed to be enforced about half of the time for divers not using the in house dive op(I think it was Sand Dollar, now it is The Dive House). The fee would be waived if you chose to wade out to the boat. Most dive ops will pick you up at the pier. For the past couple of years, I was not charged for pier pick up. From what I understand, the pier personal at the Iberostar are prickly about outside dive ops using the pier.

...Does Residencias make you wear an arm band and try to sell you a time share? . ...
... Units are privately owned, so no wrist bands. .....

And because the individual units are privately owned, Each Unit Owner may have different requirements . Don't think negative, think positive.
When I rented my unit the owner needed some minor things done inside. I already rented a car and borrowed some tools from friends on the island. Took me about 2 days to complete it but looked great when I was done and the owner loved it. It allowed me to break from the usual Saturday to Saturday rental timeframe to a customized mid-week overlap stay, for next to nothing. If you have skills and enjoy working with your hands, you would be surprised what a few inquiries might produce very favorable results to you.

We've been going to Coz for 5 years and have always stayed in the south. Last year we stayed at Residencia's Reef. We we're told there would be a fee to use the pier at Secrets/Sabor but no one was there to collect.

We rent a car for getting to and from town. There are options for lunch at the beach club next door but nothing is open for dinner. We either ate left overs, cooked or drove to town. All great options.

This year we've rented a condo in town. We want to be able to walk to restaurants and bars. I'm looking forward to the comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom