Staying on Waikiki beach, need dive operator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used Island Divers for 3 solid days a couple of years ago. Good group to go out with. If you want someone to dive master a bit, find critters and video tape.... I recommend Scuba Drew...

ScubaDrew VideoWorks

He's awesome!!! :D

I know Alex is geared to advanced divers but that would really make me uncomfortable to dive without a buddy in that situation.

I wouldn't say he's geared to advanced divers...

That said, here in NJ with 5' vis not terribly uncommon you quickly realize that even if you have a buddy, you're probably diving solo.

NJ buddy system: "We dive alone together."

I'm a fan of Waikiki Diving. The dives are only short on some of the first morning wreck dives (you're looking at a 15min bottom time at 105ft on the Corsair), but Baby Barge + Fantasy Reef combo is great for a "relaxing stroll" atmosphere. Also, they usually only takes out ~6 divers at a time, so it's definitely not a cattle boat.

I did 3 days of diving with Alex and AAA DVING - along with my 2 kids - 11 and 13 at the time - and LOVED it.... Total class act (well, meet Alex and decide for yourself) operation and lots of fun!!! He (Alex) is a great Captain and a VERY knowledgeable diver... Will always be a loyal AAA customer and diver!

Brett

Hi, been reading some of the suggestions from people. Some are inacurate and some are right on. Cap'n Mac's Honolulu Scuba Company(MoeMac) is not out of Kewalo Basin, they are out of Ke'ehi Marina. They are a very, very good company to dive with. Probably the best boat on the island. Ask employees from other dive shops who have been on the boat and they'll tell you the boat is very roomy and the crew is tops. Dive Oahu dives out of Kewalo Basin, but they crowd way too many people on that small boat. Island Divers is a good shop to go with. Good crew. The one's that have their own boats are Honolulu Scuba Company, Dive Oahu, Island Divers and Aqua Zone. Good luck and hope to see you in Hawai'i real soon

I haven't experienced many dive shops despite being here two years, but that's basically because we've been very happy diving with Ocean Concepts. They're a larger operation, but very professional and friendly. They work mostly out of Waianae harbor on the west side of the island, so even though they will pick up and drop off almost anywhere in town, it's a bit of a drive. The conditions are usually great out there, but from Waikiki it's probably 30-45 minutes. I was certified when we arrived, so I never tried their intro program, but we've picked up a few other courses while we were here and always had good experiences with their instructors.

Best of luck with the choice and hope you enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom