Staying on Waikiki beach, need dive operator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sl_guy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,
We're going to Hawaii next week and we're looking to go diving.
After some reading, I have the following dive operators in mind. What would everyone think?

1. Aquazone
2. Island Divers
3. Waikiki Diving
4. Rainbow Scuba

We have 6 people, all beginners looking into diving for the first time in Hawaii. Please give me some recommendation
Thanks in advance

Consider Oahu Scuba Divers. It is operated by Lisa and Roger, who are regulars here. I've dived with Roger on and off for the last 10 years or so. He did my kid's OW dives a few years ago. And, last year I dived with Roger and Lisa and a few others when we were in Oahu. They're good divers and good people.

I'd say that all else being equal, dive with people who support SB. However, IMHO, all things are not equal ... they are superior.

Waikiki Diving gives you small tanks on a small boat and short dives.

Island Divers Hawaii is pretty reasonable from what I've seen.

No experience with the others.

Captain John out of Hawaii Kai on the Honey Girl.

Captain Mac out of Kewalo Basin on the MoeMac.

...none of the above? I have had eeexxxcelent experiences with Alex on AAA Diving.

The biggest reason: Alex doesn't henpeck you like 99% of the dive operations in the world. If you're experienced, it's:

• Here's the dive site
  • Come back with 500 psi
  • Come back with time on your computer
  • Pool's open

The boat doesn't move until everyone comes back. None of this stick-with-the-divemaster-with-less-experience-than-you. And none of the oops, the hoover just sucked down his cylinder in 15 minutes, now you all have to surface nonsense. If you can sip from your cylinder for 70 minutes, well, enjoy the dive. The staff won't herd you back after 40 minutes, just so they can rush back to get the next cattle load of divers.

The boat is waaay bigger than it looks in the photos.

I would strongly reccomend reading this: What Oahu diving operators don't want you to know.

Have a wonderful time on your trip!

All the best, James

Edit: just re-read the OP, saw they are beginner divers, so obviously the stuff I noted above they could care less about. However, I did see Alex and Wildcard take a friend of ours through a couple of Scuba Experience dives, and they were superb, our friend was impressed enough that he came home and booked a trip on the Utila Aggressor!

My family & I were there in August. Aaron's was great! Small groups and very knowledgeable. It was our first ocean dives (cold midwest quarry divers) and they were great with our sons, 11 & 14 yrs old. They used Cap't John's Honey. We decided to dive last minute before left on vacation (the 11 year old got his OW cert. the weekend before). I'd heard good things about Island Divers, AAA Diving & Lisa & Roger, too. I believe all three will pick you up at the waikiki hotels. We were told to avoid Waikiki operators because they are "booking agents" not dive shops. (Not sure how true that is but there are a lot of operators in Waikiki as compared to the rest of the island & other islands). We like the 6-pack experience a lot.
Hope this helps.

If you are looking for a shop that CARES about your dive experience you may want to check out Oahu Dive Center. They are in Kailua, but they have boat operations out of Honolulu, Waikiki, Hawaii Kai, Waimanalo. They can defintitely set you up on a boat that is geared toward YOUR divers, not just shuffle you onto some boat cause that is where they go. Check 'em out:

www.oahudivecenter.com

...none of the above? I have had eeexxxcelent experiences with Alex on AAA Diving.

I would also agree. Recently did 8 dives in two days with Alex. On the first afternoon I was the only passenger, but we went out anyway! Talk about personalized service.

The second day was me and six guys doing a Discover Scuba. (Turns out they were from NJ too.) They went off with the instructor and DM while I did my own thing. Alex asked simply that I "come back at some point" and no one cared that was more than an hour later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom