Stay safe, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ambergris Today shows lots of beach related damage. The palapa bar is virtually gone and many docks are badly damaged. jet skis washed up on shore and signs blown away. Might be a few days before dive ops resume.

Palapa Bar is completely gone, even the original part that used to be Wet Willies. The whole dock is gone too a few feet out from the dive shop Reef Adventures that's on the same dock. The rubble from Palapa Bar is piled up on the beach in Boca del Rio. :(

Ramon's dock looks to be mostly gone or severely damaged. Fido's seems to be OK but hard to tell because of massive heaps of rubble/wood/trees right up to it.

Amigos must have weathered enough of these to have been built very strong. From a distance it barely looks touched at all.

:(

Just saw some video on The Weather Channel of the flooding in BZ City. While it appears that BZ City and AC got hit pretty hard, it appears the lower half of the country was spared.

Earl's now been downgraded to a tropical storm, so hopefully the worst is over and BZ can start dealing with the aftermath.

I received an auto reply from one dive op in San Pedro saying that customers looking for tours in the near term should look at other options. I am not mentioning the shop name because I didn't want to put the focus on that particular shop during this difficult time.

Last edited:
Big storm. Strong winds from Sittee (maybe farther, I'm not sure yet) all the way up to Blue Creek. About 90 miles as the frigate bird flies. A Sandy like storm. Not too strong but BIG.

Power is on in Dangriga already Orange Walk too I hear. We're ok. Great day to dive. Glass calm now.

Ecologic's dock and building are gone.
Chuck and Robbie's building appears to be intact but some of the dock is gone.
Ambergris Divers building appears to be in place but damaged.
Reef Adventures building is in place but the dock behind it and the restaurant bar from there are sticks and debris on the beach. For some reason the loss of this restaurant bar seems somewhat more poignant than other stories. I suppose because they'd just relocated to that spot due to unjust difficulties and had only completed a new addition and major renovations less than a month ago.
Ramon's dock and dive shop, is as if vaporized.
I haven't heard from my friends at Island Divers how their place faired. I fear for their business as well, also recently located further south.
No word on Whitesands dive operation, Elbert are you out there? Please check in. :(
Amigos del Mar looks to be standing with dock in place, yet the gas station dock next door has a huge empty spot where the station used to be.

Fidos dock is also gone along with building that housed water taxi and tour/water activities op.

So here's the thing. All of these operations, building in place or not, had their boats in safe harbour and they'll be able to start taking divers as soon as they're organized enough.

And you'll all be just amazed at how quickly docks will be back in place and/or repaired.

Mainland and inland is potentially the bigger problem for little Belize, the flooding is disastrous. But Belize has been there done that before. . .

I visited a month after Hurricane Keith, which visited its force against the island for 3 days and by the time of my arrival, it was hard to tell there'd been much of a problem, as long as I stayed beachside and front street. Things in the back streets took a bit longer to get straightened out but for most tourists, this wouldn't be noticed too much anyway.

If you've planned to go, I hope you'll rebook for not too far in the future because the community is going to need us. If your plans are already for a month or more out, keep your plans unless you're told differently by your hotel and dive operator.

For now, they've got no power in many places, so please be patient. Phone lines probably aren't working either.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom