Statistics on divers from China?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are the Chinese divers building foundations for the bridges from their place to ours
communicating

and are they happy

Classical Chinese is very different from vernacular Chinese. Read the book I referenced and you will begin to understand just how different Classical Chinese is.

You are at liberty to maintain your ignorant beliefs. I’m not going to waste any more time with you.
LOL.
Hate to repeat myself again and again!! I have to study a lot of Classical Chinese literatures at school!!!

Are you originated from Republic of China?

Traditional and simplified scripts replaced classical script when written Chinese transitioned from Classical Chinese to vernacular Chinese in the middle of the 20th Century.

"Journey to the West" and "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", which one was written in Classical Chinese?

On a completely unrelated topic, is there a way to ignore a thread when it becomes tedious, insulting, and unrelated to SCUBA diving? So it doesn't keep popping up under "new threads".

I figured out how to ignore a poster who keeps posting such messages and have put that feature to good use, but the thread still keeps popping up.

You ought to visit Tibet and see how many Tibetan with self-respect will call themselves chinese!!!!
额?听说你比我懂得西藏?你确定?WTF?
少看反华新闻,多出去走走。
少人云亦云,没什么意思真的。
西藏百万农奴解放纪念日大家人民比藏历春节还开心。
有空多出去走走,。。。别张口闭口瞎说。多出去走走。

--------------------------------------------------------------

Forehead? I heard that you know more about Tibet than me? you sure? WTF?

Watch less anti-China news and go out for a walk more often.

It doesn't really mean anything if a few people follow what they say.

Our people are happier on the anniversary of the liberation of millions of serfs in Tibet than on the Tibetan Spring Festival.

Go out for a walk more often when you have time. . . Don't talk nonsense. Get out more.

Attachments

• 微信图片_20240501011059.jpg
    微信图片_20240501011059.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 微信图片_20240501011551.png
    微信图片_20240501011551.png
    618.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 微信图片_20240501011703.png
    微信图片_20240501011703.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 13358971079031725.jpg
    13358971079031725.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 6
  • 微信图片_20240501011129.png
    微信图片_20240501011129.png
    478.5 KB · Views: 4
Enough. Take this spat elsewhere.

Western Sinologists are experts in reading vernacular Chinese, yet they fail spectacularly when they are faced with classical Chinese. Take the Classical Chinese text called 中庸 as an example. Just the simple two character title has been translated into English as:
- Doctrine of the Mean
- Middle Way
- Middle Use
-‘Focusing the Familiar
- Unwobbling Pivot

Google’Why Chinese Is So Damm Hard’ by Sinologist David Moser. In it, he says, “Whereas modern Mandarin is merely perversely hard, classical Chinese is deliberately impossible.” The translations of 中庸 quoted above bears witness to this.

Why do Sinologists find classical Chinese impossible? Because Classical Chinese is not read the same way as vernacular Chinese. Anyone who tries to read classical Chinese the way he reads vernacular Chinese will fail.

One key to classical Chinese is found in the title of Xu Shen’s 說文解字 that you quoted earlier. It was written c. 200CE and is still in print today. Do you understand 解? It is polysemic and means both ‘untie’ and ‘explain’. So the title says 說(speak) 文(culture, writing) 解(untie, explain) 字(characters). When you speak about Chinese culture and writing, you have to be able to untie and explain what the character means and why it was written that way. In classical Chinese, you have tobe able to read the components of characters as well as the entire character itself. In vernacular Chinese, you only read the entire character as a word.

Traditional script looks similar to classical script, but has some elements that are slightly altered. The slight alteration to the components within characters makes it impossible for use in classical Chinese. You have no understanding of this, so I can say definitively that you are illiterate in classical Chinese.

In the book that I referenced, the first sub title is ‘The Logic Of Chinese Characters.’ 漢字 was developed over thousands of years when written Chinese was classical Chinese. When you understand the logic of Chinese characters and how to until and explain them, you will naturally understand classical Chinese.

Now go away and read the book that I referenced earlier and you will find out exactly how ignorant of classical Chinese you are currently.

Now go away and read the book that I referenced earlier and you will find out exactly how ignorant of classical Chinese you are currently.
How much Classical literatures written in Classic Chinese had you ever read?
Read anything from Confucius and Mencius?
If I want to find out the development of written Chinese word, I know which literature I would look at and it has nothing to do with your!
Anyone who speak Chinese would readily tell the difference except the illiterate. I assume you speak the language otherwise......

Do you read Chinese in any form at all? Am I dealing with an illiterate?

Back
Top Bottom