Statistics on divers from China?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheSpot

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction for obtaining some data on Chinese divers, such as the following:

- Certification rates in recent years?
- What are the popular destinations for Chinese divers to go, outside of China?
- It has been said that currently Cantonese is the predominant language among people who fit the Chinese diver profile but that as that changes, Mandarin will become more important - is this accurate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi,

What I heard and experienced many mainland Chinese travel to TW for diving, especially Kenting. Must be a good business for dive shops around Kenting.

fresh lemon

I have no idea.
I believe south east Asia. But more and more go further away to other place.
- It has been said that currently Cantonese is the predominant language among people who fit the Chinese diver profile but that as that changes, Mandarin will become more important - is this accurate?
I'm a instructor in Hong Kong. In the old days most of the diver from China are from Hong Kong.
So most of them speak Cantonese. Now I see a lot of diver from Mainland China learn to dive and buy expensive diver gear in Hong Kong. All of them speak Mandarin. Market in China compare to the little market of Hong Kong. Sure Mandarin will be more important. How long will it take? no one knows!
Hope can help!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for obtaining some data on Chinese divers, such as the following:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm also interested in this information but have not had much response from the companies that I have asked such as PADI as they don't keep that type of information (or at least they don't aggregate it).

I have also been trying to get to stats from Chinese government on courses in China but they either don't want to tell me or my requests have been lost in the billions of others they get.

The one thing that you can be sure of is that there are more and more divers coming from both India's and China's new middle classes.

I will let you know when I get more on this.

Cheers

serious_fun - only problem with CUA is that my Mandarin is non existent and the English translation is very poor.

I'll send them a mail and let everyone here know if there is a response.

Thanks
:)

hi, i'm a beijinger. padi aow. as i know for most of mainland divers, they prefer southeast asia, maldive, great barrier, palau and red sea. cause not much chinese learn diving courses in english, so that chinese instructor and dive master are extremely popular. only those people lives in HK and Guangdong Province speak Cantonese. we, the rest of chinese hate Cantonese dialect. and as a province, Guangdong (Canton) contributie a bit to dive.

Chinese divers prefer to go to southeast Asia, Malaysia, the Philippines and such. And no, it is not true that Cantonese is the predominant language among divers. Diving is getting more and more popular among mainlanders so that mandarin is for sure the most popular being used among divers. Despite that nowadays people who speaks Cantonese are more than likely capable of speaking let along understand mandarin. I'm a diver originally from chengdu china, and now live in Bozeman Montana.

Anywhere out of China should be good. ASEAN would be choosed by most of Chinese for diving.

China now accounts for the largest number of overseas tourists of any country. Although diving is still relatively low penetration in PRC (like other wealthy sports: see also horse riding, golf, tennis), it is not a bad guess that this will likely change as more and more mainlanders travel.

Cantonese is spoken predominantly in Hong Kong but also elsewhere in Guangzhou province, but otherwise not very much in PRC. Hong Kong tourists have a long tradition of diving (not massively keen like the US or Australia, but you certainly see several dive shops whilst wandering around Kowloon).

Most PRC tourists tend (naturally enough) to be more affluent, and most (probably nearly all) will speak Mandarin as a first or second language.

I don't have any hard or fast statistics, but then I have never been able to find hard or fast statistics on diver travel in the USA either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom