Statistics on divers from China?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....only those people lives in HK and Guangdong Province speak Cantonese. we, the rest of chinese hate Cantonese dialect. and as a province, Guangdong (Canton) contributie a bit to dive.
WRONG!!!! Cantonese is NOT a dialect.
BTW, there are many spoken languages in Guangdong Province and Cantonese is only one of them. I bet yo do not know that!
Mandarin is NOT the mother tongue of the WHOLE china. If you have travelled at all in your country, you will find many people do not understand Mandarin at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks. Quite a bit of water under the bridge since my first post on the subject. Definitely Mandarin is the way forward, thanks. Still not managed to get my hands on any real stats but the evidence suggests that the numbers are big. Will let you know when we have any interesting developments.

We get huge numbers of Chinese divers here in Okinawa. With direct flights from Taiwan, HK and Shanghai and Beijing the numbers keep going up. Must take their courses in English though. We also have many intro dives and certified divers showing up that have taken courses in China already.

I know Jean-Michel Cousteau and Dr. Richard Murphy of Ocean Futures are working with Chinese students now, although more for education in marine ecosystems rather than diver certification. I'll be giving talks to two groups when they come out to Catalina this summer.

My understanding is that there are relatively few places with good diving off the mainland China coast, due largely to river influx and access/infrastructure. I've met and seen a number of Chinese divers in the Philippines.

Chinese make up a larger and larger percentage of visitors to the Maldives every year at this time, however this is not reflected in the number of Chinese divers. They're mainly honeymooners, family vacations, a few do DSD try dives etc.

Cantonese is a language, Han (Mandarin) is China's national language.

That said, Diving is considered as a "brain stupid dead wish" activity, and seen as a very Luxurious Hobby.
i.e. your MSDT will cost you 17.000USD + all kinds of extra fees... + living expenses... + travels...

Chinese will travel oversea for it is much cheaper, it is taught by folks that actually DO KNOW the trade, and also bcs they prefer to stay off their own nasty polluted destroyed coastal reefs...

Does anyone have any updated information on serious divers in China? I'd like to connect with more Chinese divers interested in liveaboard trips to Cocos Island and I'm not sure where to start!

Does anyone have any updated information on serious divers in China? I'd like to connect with more Chinese divers interested in liveaboard trips to Cocos Island and I'm not sure where to start!

Up until few years ago Costa Rica was one of the few countries in the world which had diplomatic tie with Republic of China. How thing had changed especially when MONEY is concerned especially with commie!!!!
We would rather they don't come to Hong Kong at all if we have the choice!!!

If you can read/write Chinese, this board seems to be popular among the mainland Chinese. Ran into a big group of 50+ divers from China invading Tulamben, Bali over the Oct holidays. They all came from this board:

?? - ??

Fairly active, lots of serious divers.

Dear Dr Bill

I'm a dive master intern in Fiji and my dive instructor told me a horrific account of a couple who had advanced certs but clearly no experience because of an incident that happened underwater. He says they had paid for certs in China without doing any courses.

Is this something that the dive community is aware of? The super rich paying their way at the expense of health and safety under water.
Many thanks

I know Jean-Michel Cousteau and Dr. Richard Murphy of Ocean Futures are working with Chinese students now, although more for education in marine ecosystems rather than diver certification. I'll be giving talks to two groups when they come out to Catalina this summer.

My understanding is that there are relatively few places with good diving off the mainland China coast, due largely to river influx and access/infrastructure. I've met and seen a number of Chinese divers in the Philippines.
Dr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom