Question Stationary Magnahelic Tester needed to service regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering taking the hog reg servicing training offered by DRIS. In their list of required tools is a Stationary Magnahelic Tester. It's quite an expensive piece to buy. Is it absolutely essential or is it possible to service a reg w/o it?

This short video is pretty amateurish. It was a brief extract from a seminar we had in the past.
But it shows that a magnehelic is not necessary. If this is too crude, Google a water U-tube manometer and plug it into a spare mouthpiece with a garden irrigation barb and some 1/4" tubing.

I have never taken a class on reg servicing, but have been doing my own for some time. A magnahelic would be very handy, but a U-tube manometer will accomplish the same and can be made easily:
Or, you can get away with a bowl of water as demonstrated by @rsingler , and now I see he posted his demo while I've been typing this!

Respectfully,

James

Some good thoughts in this thread: Adjusting reg by submerging how precise ? Our dearly departed Couv said:

The sink or bucket method is fine for checking your equipment periodically. Just take note how deep you are immersing the second stage before it begins to freeflow. Compare the cracking pressure from time to time to keep an eye on its performance.

If you're going to service your gear then you'll find it more convenient to have a manometer or magnehelic gauge at your bench.

I took the DRIS course

First off eBay is your friend, IIRC I didn't pay much more than $30 for a used one

More importantly, the spec requires a Magnahelix to set the cracking pressure. Period, end of discussion.

I asked the instructors if they set up their personal regs this way, (hint, they don’t), but the spec and Magnahelix are always used for servicing other regs

I bought just about every tool on the list that my HOG service course instructor provided. It turned out that just about every tool was available to share in the classroom, and very few students had all the tools. I can't speak to the DRIS course; if it's an online course then that's a different situation.

I bought just about every tool on the list that my HOG service course instructor provided. It turned out that just about every tool was available to share in the classroom, and very few students had all the tools. I can't speak to the DRIS course; if it's an online course then that's a different situation.
It's an online course indeed. As a side note, the only reason I'd take the course is to service my own regulators.

It's an online course indeed. As a side note, the only reason I'd take the course is to service my own regulators.
I would be willing to bet you would not be the only student without a magnehelic. Certainly for purposes of understanding the principle involved and learning to adjust your reg based on that, the bucket-o-water method would work.

I would be willing to bet you would not be the only student without a magnehelic. Certainly for purposes of understanding the principle involved and learning to adjust your reg based on that, the bucket-o-water method would work.
Perhaps better to wait until you have an opportunity to determine if DIY service is for you. But if you become serious, you will own a magnahelic (which I know very well from personal experience!!).

Best

After looking at the video posted here, I think I'll go with the bowl of water and ruler method indeed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom