Question Stationary Magnahelic Tester needed to service regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The blue thing with the big latex tubing and blue hose attached - Cheap, quick, and dirty:
20220913_140357-jpg.743582

mostly Lowes/Home depot
  • plastic 1" barb male to 3/4" pipe male fitting (blue thing)
  • brass barb male (to fit your tubing) to 1/8" (IIRC) pipe male fitting
  • 1"ish OD latex tubing (Amazon) - most expensive part.

drill plastic and thread the brass fitting in
cut and roll latex tubing onto pipe-thread end of the plastic

I wanted a round mouth end. I use it either in my mouth, or with a vacuum pump using the white stopper and hose.

Do you use anything to seal the brass barb adapter to the PVC pipe adapter?

Do you use anything to seal the brass barb adapter to the PVC pipe adapter?
Nope. You could, but I figured that the blue plastic is malleable and slick enough to allow it to make a good compression seal with NPT threaded brass. I don't think I even bothered formally tapping the hole, I believe i just let the brass for the threads in the plastic.

I don't think I even bothered formally tapping the hole, I believe i just let the brass for the threads in the plastic.

Probably easier to get it in just right. Thankfully I bought three, so I could use the first to experiment with.

My gauge and latex tubing comes in tomorrow, so going to see how it goes. Have to make a stand as well.

Probably easier to get it in just right. Thankfully I bought three, so I could use the first to experiment with.

My gauge and latex tubing comes in tomorrow, so going to see how it goes. Have to make a stand as well.
What latex tubing did you order and where? If I understand correctly, the tubing goes over the 2nd stage instead of the mouthpiece?

What latex tubing did you order and where? If I understand correctly, the tubing goes over the 2nd stage instead of the mouthpiece?

Since it hasn't arrived I have no idea how well it will work. But I went based on @-JD- description and went with 1" latex from McMaster Carr.

Shipping was horrible so I am hoping that i got the right thing.

Since it hasn't arrived I have no idea how well it will work. But I went based on @-JD- description and went with 1" latex from McMaster Carr.

Thanks. Been thinking about what to do also. Saw another option with a barb threaded inside the side of a mouthpiece. It's a tight fit to get it just outside of the 2nd stage edge and where the lips are sitting over the mouthpiece. Might try that first.

I usually take the horrible but crazy-fast shipping option offered by McMaster-Carr, but I recall someone on SB saying that if you request a cheaper option in the comments box (Priority Mail?) they will honor it.

I'm all for DIY and saving money where I can, but I would just buy the adapter from ScubaTools. Yeah, I know, 25 bucks (plus shipping) for a piece of plastic with a barb and some tubing ....

I bought a lot of my bench tools used, including a magnehelic setup with the adapter included.

I usually take the horrible but crazy-fast shipping option offered by McMaster-Carr, but I recall someone on SB saying that if you request a cheaper option in the comments box (Priority Mail?) they will honor it.

Will have to keep that in mind, I order them a few times of year not just for scuba stuff but other things (often metric screws).

I ordered so replacement neoprene tubing for my pee valve, so it didn't hit as hard.

Start small with drilling and step up to where the tip of the npt threads just start to fit into the hole. Thread slowly.

Start small with drilling and step up to where the tip of the npt threads just start to fit into the hole. Thread slowly.

I even went and picked up a middle size between the two drill bits. One of these days I need to pick up a proper numbered bit kit.

Back
Top Bottom