State Dept. Travel Warning: Worth heeding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHGoDive:
The travel warnings and bulletins are there to make you aware that you are walking into a potentially dangerous place. Indonesia isn't exactly Grand Cayman. There are issues. Those issues are real. Read up on it, look at the news reports, see what's going on.
We have been travelling to Indonesia since 1990 and not once have we felt threatened, except by a long spined urchin and a few demented Titan Trigger Fish.

We feel safer in Indonesia than on Lower Greenville Ave in Dallas, certain areas of Houston, or the dicey areas of South Central Los Angeles not to forget some of the lovely crime ridden areas in NYC, etc.

There should be TRAVEL WARNINGS for these areas as there is much more danger, crime and killing there than in Bali, or Sorong, or Ambon.

In a nutshell -
1. The people in Bali are the nicest folks I've ever met. There are some fundamentalist Muslims in Indonesia but for the most part Bali is not Muslim (92% Hindu).
2. Most Indonesians are just plain nice people.
3. Stay away from tourist haunts. Since most of Indonesia is not a tourist haunt it's easy.
4. Be prepared for the best diving and cheapest prices in the world.

Tonym:
We have been travelling to Indonesia since 1990 and not once have we felt threatened, except by a long spined urchin and a few demented Titan Trigger Fish.

We feel safer in Indonesia than on Lower Greenville Ave in Dallas, certain areas of Houston, or the dicey areas of South Central Los Angeles not to forget some of the lovely crime ridden areas in NYC, etc.

There should be TRAVEL WARNINGS for these areas as there is much more danger, crime and killing there than in Bali, or Sorong, or Ambon.

Totally agree! Everytime I travel friends always say "Don't go", "it's dangerous over there" or "your crazy". If one listens to others and the travel warnings they would be better off hiding under a rock and not living their life. Most US Cities are more dangerous than some areas in foreign countries. I flew to New York 5 days after 9-11 I thought that my parents were going to both have a heart attack! My response to them, " I am going to live my life, go where I want and no terrorist is going to make me sit home and hide with the threat that something "may" happen, if it does happen at least I died "free" and enjoying what I do most and that is living and traveling".

For me, I tell people if you're worried about travelling and think you'll be preoccupied with concerns that detract from your fun, stay home. Otherwise, get out there, be aware, and enjoy.

shep
Dili, East Timor.

Havng travelled a bit with a group of loud, fun, sometimes, drunk Americans I have a little advise. Don't even think of drinking and riding a motorbike in Thailand and don't be an ***! As others have stated, a big smile and a few words in native tongue will get you a long way! Hell, NYC is far more dangerous that Indonesia! What did Aretha say? R_E_S_P_E_C_T! Give it and earn it!
Party on dudes!
Susie

Scuba Susie:
Havng travelled a bit with a group of loud, fun, sometimes, drunk Americans I have a little advise. Don't even think of drinking and riding a motorbike in Thailand and don't be an ***! As others have stated, a big smile and a few words in native tongue will get you a long way! Hell, NYC is far more dangerous that Indonesia! What did Aretha say? R_E_S_P_E_C_T! Give it and earn it!
Party on dudes!
Susie

There is really no reason to drive in Thailand. I hired a tuk tuk driver and had him drive us around exclusively for four days from morning to late night. We had an excellent time and it was like having our own tour guide and CHEAP too. Where ever we went I would pay his entrance fee and buy his food, beer etc.

Don'y worry you will be treated like a king in Indonesia and don't take malaria tablet or whatever.
The travel warning from western governments are bias. why there are no warning for travelling to USA , Spain or Uk .

The fact remains that bad things can happen anywhere anytime. Even Kansas.

...but the State dept guys got to justify that salary by putting out a few alerts now and then, they're just doing their job even if it is bogus.

the State dept guys got to justify that salary by putting out a few alerts now

I think it has to do with the fact that if you are kidnapped, you are on your own, and they want you to know that.

I am taking my kids this summer....and I only go places where they can roam around, I thought it seemed fine. I won't let them run around in Kuta at night probably...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom