State Dept. Travel Warning: Worth heeding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All is about attitude and behaviour. If you behave yourself and aware about your surrounding, where ever you go, could be either dangerous or safe.

Personally, I would say that Bali is safe at this point. As some of you mentioned, local is very concerned about the safety of their source of income. So, they don;t want anything happen again in Bali that will drive tourists away.

But, if you travel to other places other than Bali. My only advise is, be courteous. You're not in your own country anymore.

Cheers,
S-

naga:
There are still elements of radicals and also Moluccan seperatists in the area, sporadic violence still occurs, but it is much safer than before. Doing a lb in the area should be ok, if you are staying in Ambon, stay off the streets of Ambon city at night to be sure.

Thanks for the detailed post naga. My trip to Ambon was great and I had no issues with anybody, took a nice walk on a small muslim only island, even went to the oldest mosque in the Malukus and had a nice chat with the Imam. As usual, it was hard to find any reason to go out at night in Ambon city, just like every other remote dive destination I've been to.

I found the malaria issue to be a non-issue in Ambon-I couldn't find anybody who had it. The dive op owner thought I was joking when I asked if he knew of any recent cases, didn't even have nets on the beds.

Oh, and the diving was excellent, about as cheap as Bohol P.I, but way better. Dive op was very good, even though it was the only one on the island.

As usual, the SD warning seems to be the cover-our-*** type... -Andy

It just goes to show. A small bomb went off in Ambon 2 days ago injuring 6 people. (Separatists drawing attention to their cause).

It is just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom