State Dept. Travel Warning: Worth heeding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan:
Now now Pakman - don't end the story where it starts to get interesting...

to borrow a famous saying from a former ex- US President... I repeat, I did not have sexual relations with that woman...:no

Or as Borat would say, no 'sexy time' was had...:D

pakman:
Well I wish I had read that State Dept. warning on Australians:eyebrow: .... Actually my only bad experience in my Asian travels did involved an attack by an Aussie... Many moons ago, I was in the ol' Sari Club in Bali and was dragged kicking and screaming onto the dance floor by a massive Sheila (probably 3x my size -horizontally) who had mistaken me for an Indonesian boytoy...:11:

I'm still having nightmares about that...:(

How was it Mike? :wink:

I don't get it. When there's a terrorist act in indonesia they tell everyone to stay away. When there is a terrorist act in the states or UK they tell everyone to keep coming and not give in to the terrorists.

I have been since 6 years in Indonesia in different parts and never had any problems.

Stijn:
I don't get it. When there's a terrorist act in indonesia they tell everyone to stay away. When there is a terrorist act in the states or UK they tell everyone to keep coming and not give in to the terrorists.

I have been since 6 years in Indonesia in different parts and never had any problems.

Very good point. There was little to no security when the bombings in Kuta happened or when the divers were kidnapped in Sipidan. Indonesia and Malaysia are no longer "soft" targets.

Stijn:

Don't forget though, the state department warnings are merely that, warnings. They are not banning travel to those areas, they aren't telling anyone to stay away, simply raising people's awareness of the situation.

Nothing wrong with that, so long as the information is accurate. It's just another resource, not gospel.

silent running:
Hi ruebencahn, in the study I saw, 38% had diarrhea, not much better than the other meds. The % for nausea, abdominal pain and headaches were only a marginal improvement over the others. Maybe you got lucky, but it's hard enough for me to stay regular in the tropics as it is... -Andy

In my years of pacific travel, I have used most of the different anti-malarials including the dreaded Larium. I now use Malarone. I have never had any side effects. Doxy makes you light sensitive and often caused me nausea when I took it without a full stomach. I see absolutely no reason to go without these meds. I know too many ex-pats who suffer terribly from bouts of malaria. It's NOT WORTH THE RISK!!!:no

All govt warnings are designed to protect the *** of the govt, they offer virtually no real tangible advice.

The Indonesian govt has gone to great lengths to counter the terrorism problem in the country (with a lot of assistance from the Aussie and US govts). The problem has stemmed from a handful of radicals from Java who were indoctrinated and trained in Pakistan and Afghanistan, they have trained a new generation of militants to conduct their 'operations'. The govt has arrested over 300 terrorists, and CT operations continue until this day.

Bali is a Hindu island, not Muslim, but there are small Muslim communities who pose no threat to security. The bombings in Bali were conducted by indoctrinated Javanese Muslims, who saw the island as a land of hedonistic infidels, etc, etc..there will always be a risk especially in Kuta, Legian and Sanur. However, the real diving is done in Padang Bai and Tulamben, both of which are 1-2 hrs north of the main tourist areas and are in small fishing villages, heavily populated with Hindus.

Ambon (the capital of the Maluku Islands) was the scene of a sectarian war between locals (Maluku was a Christian majority) and Javanese Muslim radicals, who were actually sponsored and trained by the Indonesian Army Special Forces. The sectarian conflict there and in neghbouring Central Sulawesi was orchestrated by the Army after the downfall of the Suaharto regime (in 1998).

The president at the time was 'Gus Dur', a moderate Islamic cleric who openly pledged moderate Islam and secularism. Certain leaders within the military heirarchy hated him for this and created a war in order to humiliate him and make his tenure ungovernable.

There are still elements of radicals and also Moluccan seperatists in the area, sporadic violence still occurs, but it is much safer than before. Doing a lb in the area should be ok, if you are staying in Ambon, stay off the streets of Ambon city at night to be sure.

As previously mentioned, the main risk throughout Indonesia is actually via poor hygiene and infrastructure, there have been 2 major 737 crashes, two ferries sinkings, and several train derailments this year alone.

It is a third world country run by third world leaders, they simply don't care. Be especially careful when travelling on the roads, Indonesians have no idea about safety, nor do they employ common sense when driving.

Having said that, they are genuinely friendly, not hostile to foreigners (providing you are not a dickhead) and the diving is fantastic.

enjoy.

All govt warnings are designed to protect the *** of the govt, they offer virtually no real tangible advice.

The Indonesian govt has gone to great lengths to counter the terrorism problem in the country (with a lot of assistance from the Aussie and US govts). The problem has stemmed from a handful of radicals from Java who were indoctrinated and trained in Pakistan and Afghanistan, they have trained a new generation of militants to conduct their 'operations'. The govt has arrested over 300 terrorists, and CT operations continue until this day.

Bali is a Hindu island, not Muslim, but there are small Muslim communities who pose no threat to security. The bombings in Bali were conducted by indoctrinated Javanese Muslims, who saw the island as a land of hedonistic infidels, etc, etc..there will always be a risk especially in Kuta, Legian and Sanur. However, the real diving is done in Padang Bai and Tulamben, both of which are 1-2 hrs north of the main tourist areas and are in small fishing villages, heavily populated with Hindus.

Ambon (the capital of the Maluku Islands) was the scene of a sectarian war between locals (Maluku was a Christian majority) and Javanese Muslim radicals, who were actually sponsored and trained by the Indonesian Army Special Forces. The sectarian conflict there and in neghbouring Central Sulawesi was orchestrated by the Army after the downfall of the Suaharto regime (in 1998).

The president at the time was 'Gus Dur', a moderate Islamic cleric who openly pledged moderate Islam and secularism. Certain leaders within the military heirarchy hated him for this and created a war in order to humiliate him and make his tenure ungovernable.

There are still elements of radicals and also Moluccan seperatists in the area, sporadic violence still occurs, but it is much safer than before. Doing a lb in the area should be ok, if you are staying in Ambon, stay off the streets of Ambon city at night to be sure.

As previously mentioned, the main risk throughout Indonesia is actually via poor hygiene and infrastructure, there have been 2 major 737 crashes, two ferries sinkings, and several train derailments this year alone.

It is a third world country run by third world leaders, they simply don't care. Be especially careful when travelling on the roads, Indonesians have no idea about safety, nor do they employ common sense when driving.

Having said that, they are genuinely friendly, not hostile to foreigners (providing you are not a dickhead) and the diving is fantastic.

enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom