State Dept. Travel Warning: Worth heeding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running:
Hello all, I'm traveling to Ambon tomorrow and just read the State Dept. link posted above, which specificly mentions the Malukus as being restricted to embassy personel. Anybody know why? I thought sectarian violence hadn't been an issue for the last 5 years or so. Anybody have any recent impressions about the situation btw the Muslim and Christian inhabitants?

Also, I know it's a malarial area, I plan to use strong insect repellant in the evening, not go out to much after dark and button up the bed net good. Any other suggestions about coping with tropical diseases in Ambon? Thanks, -Andy

Any reason not to use anti-malarials? Malarone is virtually free of side effects.

Saudi Arabia, Mexico, China, Phillipines, Thailand, Korea, Ireland, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, U.K., Canada, Tunisia, Belgium, Australia, France, Germany. You get the idea.
I've traveled in Burkina Faso, Zaire, Mauritania, Zimbabwe, Nicaragua, Colombia, India, Guatemala, Zambia..want more? Honduras, Senegal, Malaysia, Uganda, Botswana, London, New York, Paris, Zanzibar, Zihuatanejo... Hope is a good thing, Red. People, wake up. There is a world out there.

I just got back from my latest trip to Indonesia. I have spent time in Bali, but this was my first trip to Raja Ampat and Lembeh.

I just assumed that it would be primarily Muslim and took a head scarf and modest clothing for going into towns. Imagine my surprise when I landed in both areas to find Christian chuches everywhere and almost no Mosques. Even though Indonesia is known as one of the largest Muslim countries in the world, there are many areas which are not.

Heck, even in the Muslim areas, while exercising decorum, I have had no problems at all. Suffice it to say that you need to show respect for the local customs WHEREVER you are.
People will usually judge you for how you behave, in my experience, more than your country of origin.

Terrorism hasn't kept me from going to NYC.

The world is a different place than it was 20 years ago. Travel worries used to be more of the pickpocket and random street crime variety. Nowadays, while the risks to any individual traveler on any particular trip remain very very low, if you are affected, the impact to you could well be much higher.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=249564

The travel warnings and bulletins are there to make you aware that you are walking into a potentially dangerous place. Indonesia isn't exactly Grand Cayman. There are issues. Those issues are real. Read up on it, look at the news reports, see what's going on. Then, at least, you're as prepared there as you are here. And that's about all you can do.

Enjoy the trip.

Batfish:
I've traveled in Burkina Faso, Zaire, Mauritania, Zimbabwe, Nicaragua, Colombia, India, Guatemala, Zambia..want more? Honduras, Senegal, Malaysia, Uganda, Botswana, London, New York, Paris, Zanzibar, Zihuatanejo... Hope is a good thing, Red. People, wake up. There is a world out there.

AMEN, my fellow World Traveler!:)

Has the topic been officially changed? :p

....Thailand (Phuket, Bangkok, Krabi, Changmai), Singapore, Indonesia (Jakarta, Bali, Krakatoa, Banda Islands, Ambon, Manado, Lembeh Straits, Unjung Pandan, Semarang, Borobudur, Yogakarta), Myanmar (Yangoon, Bagan, Inle Lake, Mandalay), Cambodia (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap), Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Jeddah, Al Khobar), Bahrain, UAE, Dubai, Cyprus, Turkey, France (Paris, Nice, Reims), Italy (Rome, Almafi Coast, Naples, Pisa, Florence, Genoa, Anzio, Venice), Monte Carlo, Greece (Athens, Cos), Germany (Frankfurt, Rhine Valley, Cologne, Heidelberg), Switzerland (Geneva, Basel), Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, Ireland (Cork, Limerick, Galway, Bannagher, Baltimore, Bantry Bay), London, Australia (Hobart, Sydney), New Zealand (Rotorua, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Te Anau, Invercargill), Sri Lanka (Colombo, Hikkadua, Galle, Kandy, Newara Elya), Malaysia (most of peninsular Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu, Kuchin, Miri, Mulu Caves, Sipadan), Maldives (Male, North & South Male atolls, North & South Ari atolls), Lahore, India (New Delhi, Bombay, Goa, Cochin, Kerela, Agra), Philippines (Manila, Boracay, Cebu, Malapascua), Honduras, Grand Cayman, Canada, Mexico and the U.S. (at least 30 states) :D

Zippsy:
Has the topic been officially changed? :p

....Thailand (Phuket, Bangkok, Krabi, Changmai), Singapore, Indonesia (Jakarta, Bali, Krakatoa, Banda Islands, Ambon, Manado, Lembeh Straits, Unjung Pandan, Semarang, Borobudur, Yogakarta), Myanmar (Yangoon, Bagan, Inle Lake, Mandalay), Cambodia (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap), Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Jeddah, Al Khobar), Bahrain, UAE, Dubai, Cyprus, Turkey, France (Paris, Nice, Reims), Italy (Rome, Almafi Coast, Naples, Pisa, Florence, Genoa, Anzio, Venice), Monte Carlo, Greece (Athens, Cos), Germany (Frankfurt, Rhine Valley, Cologne, Heidelberg), Switzerland (Geneva, Basel), Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, Ireland (Cork, Limerick, Galway, Bannagher, Baltimore, Bantry Bay), London, Australia (Hobart, Sydney), New Zealand (Rotorua, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Te Anau, Invercargill), Sri Lanka (Colombo, Hikkadua, Galle, Kandy, Newara Elya), Malaysia (most of peninsular Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu, Kuchin, Miri, Mulu Caves, Sipadan), Maldives (Male, North & South Male atolls, North & South Ari atolls), Lahore, India (New Delhi, Bombay, Goa, Cochin, Kerela, Agra), Philippines (Manila, Boracay, Cebu, Malapascua), Honduras, Grand Cayman, Canada, Mexico and the U.S. (at least 30 states) :D

Zippsy... you are hilarious. ROFL.

I have traveled extensively in SE Asia, and lived in Indonesia for over a year. IMHO, the biggest risk you face in these countries is invariably the traffic. Haha!.

As true as this is, I continue to return, and even ride motorbikes in many places. Not Jakarta or Bangkok, mind you, but I will ride on most of the islands, including Bali.

I am in NO way recommending this to anyone, especially if you aren't already an experienced rider!

Go, be polite, enjoy!

reubencahn:
Any reason not to use anti-malarials? Malarone is virtually free of side effects.

Hi ruebencahn, in the study I saw, 38% had diarrhea, not much better than the other meds. The % for nausea, abdominal pain and headaches were only a marginal improvement over the others. Maybe you got lucky, but it's hard enough for me to stay regular in the tropics as it is... -Andy

Back
Top Bottom