State Dept. Travel Warning: Worth heeding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, folks -

Been trading e-mails with another couple about the possibility of a dive trip this fall to somewhere in Indonesia. She responded tonight with this link ...

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_918.html, a US State Department travel warning about travel to Indonesia.

I responded ...

"I can say that in all I've read about Indonesia in various dive forums, I don't recall anyone bringing up that aspect of the safety issue. My biggest concern would be hanging out in a populated area much more so than shuttling off to a little speck of limestone a coupla thousand miles away. Which is not to say that the issue can be totally ignored. I think we're fairly prudent people, but in this case, that advisory would probably not deter me from going. On the other hand, there are a lot of other great places to dive. Given the cost, we may only do a trip like that one or twice in our lives; it's gotta be killer diving."

Okay, so my question is, what are other divers' thoughts about traveling in the face of such a warning? Lots of divers traveling through the airport on Bali. Does that make the airport a target? Are you willing to play the odds and just go? What thoughts are out there? If you're not an American, perhaps the issue doesn't resonate as strongly. Being one such, however, I bow with gratitude toward our fearless leader for sending us abroad with a bullseye on our back ...

I've traveled to a lot of countries (Indonesia being one of them) and one thing I've learned is that while people may hate Bush or US foreign policy, they will very rarely direct that anger towards individuals. As long as you are courteous and respectful, you will almost always be met with the same.

As for the terrorist activity, I understand Indonesia has been very quiet since the blast in Bali. If you think about it, the community there is highly dependent on "westerm" tourist dollars, specifically from Australia. I'm sure that the locals there would be less than tolerant of terrorist activities now that they have faced the consequences in the last round of bombing. This is not to say that there is not a risk, but I would not let a state department travel warning get in the way of my travels. All of my most rewarding travel experiences have been in places that are generally (and incorrectly) assumed to be dangerous.

So in short, be aware of your surroundings, respect local laws and customs, and have a great dive trip :)

while people may hate Bush or US foreign policy,

Many of the staffers we met in Indonesia had questions about coming to the United States and asked for our e-mail, trying to make a connection...

We never felt threatened but I know parts of Jakarta are sketchy.

Bali felt very safe to us. (The driving had me a little anxious though)

Having said all that, when you decide to go, I think you have to accept being on your own and not blaming our government if something happens. Some people seem to think you should be able to call 911 and get the Marines in a few hours for a first class ride out.

We heard that the locals were scouting out the trouble makers and running them off.

Last time this subject came up, a member posted a link showing that the Bali bombers actually walked, which is surprising.

highdesert:
Okay, so my question is, what are other divers' thoughts about traveling in the face of such a warning? Lots of divers traveling through the airport on Bali. Does that make the airport a target? Are you willing to play the odds and just go? What thoughts are out there? If you're not an American, perhaps the issue doesn't resonate as strongly. Being one such, however, I bow with gratitude toward our fearless leader for sending us abroad with a bullseye on our back ...

My husband (Australian) is working in Indonesia, and I travel back and forth all the time. We got married last year in Bali and my family came from the USA for the wedding. They were initially quite nervous due to the US State Dept warnings and the general feeling around the world about the USA. They were shocked after spending time in Bali at how friendly and generally safe they felt. Of course, there is no guarantee that there will not be some random bomb attack, but I can tell you from first hand experience traveling around Indonesia (and not just Bali), by and large, people are friendly and thankful for the tourism.

I am heading back to Indonesia in a few weeks.

I travel frequently to Indonesia and I feel just as safe there as in the US, if not more so. Obviously there are places in the big cities where you should be more careful - just like the US. And if you are worried about terrorism, well..... don't. It's not going to happen and worrying about it IS defeat.

Zippsy:
I travel frequently to Indonesia and I feel just as safe there as in the US, if not more so. Obviously there are places in the big cities where you should be more careful - just like the US. And if you are worried about terrorism, well..... don't. It's not going to happen and worrying about it IS defeat.

I think you nailed it there. I've been traveling all over the world since 1982:
Saudi Arabia, Mexico, China, Phillipines, Thailand, Korea, Ireland, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, U.K., Canada, Tunisia, Belgium, Australia, France, Germany. You get the idea. I have been treated fairly well and found most people to be friendly and respectful. Learn a little about where you are traveling to; customs, form of Gov't, major religions, a little of the local history, language, etc. People appreciate your interest and knowledge. The don't like arrogance and attitude. Heck, I don't like visiting certain areas of New York, Atlanta, L.A., Memphis, etc. People are people, all over the world. I say enjoy yourself.:crafty:

I'm in the Philippines right now, another country that the US and Canadian governments have a travel warning for. I Manila, I feel very safe and some friends of mine who work for American Airlines and moved here from LA with their families, say they would never go back because they feel safer here. Like any large city, if you are drunk and walking down a dark back alley with money hanging out of your pocket, you might have a problem. Common sense will keep you safe.

We were in Bali for the month of October last year and had no safety concerns whatsoever. We were not in Kuta but didn't think about safety except for, as Catherine pointed out, being on the roads. Asian traffic is a bit nuts...:wink:

If you're worried about anything, just don't spend much time in the major tourist areas. If you're mainly diving this won't be a problem anyway in Bali, as the dive sites are all away from Kuta. Avoid end of Sep/first of Oct (major holiday - don't know exact dates) if you're paranoid. That's when the last 2 incidents were in Bali. Personally I'm starting to feel safer in Indonesia the past couple of years than here with the ongoing George & Dick fiasco, but that's another thread. Travel warnings are somewhat politically motivated. Go & have a great time.

Hello all, I'm traveling to Ambon tomorrow and just read the State Dept. link posted above, which specificly mentions the Malukus as being restricted to embassy personel. Anybody know why? I thought sectarian violence hadn't been an issue for the last 5 years or so. Anybody have any recent impressions about the situation btw the Muslim and Christian inhabitants?

Also, I know it's a malarial area, I plan to use strong insect repellant in the evening, not go out to much after dark and button up the bed net good. Any other suggestions about coping with tropical diseases in Ambon? Thanks, -Andy

Well, it's nice to see what I thought I would, which is divers confirming what I pretty much feel myself ... keep your head on straight, don't make an American ***** out of yourself, stay away from big crowds, and enjoy the diving. Thanks for the responses ...

Back
Top Bottom