Starting computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reid25314

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So i am new to diving freshly got sdi open water certified on Dec 29th. im 20 years old so i certainly have plenty of diving left in my life. i plan to get my advanced with specialties of nitrox, navigation, buoyancy, and deep diving so i can dive to the flight deck of the big o in pensacola fl. i very well may also get cavern and possibly cave certifications. so my question to you all is which of the 2 cpus should i get? cressi leonardo or hollis dg02? or maybe there are other computers of other brands or models that my local dive shop havent told me about

Take a hard look at a Shearwater Petrel.

I have the leonardo. It is a simple reliable computer. I don't have any experience with the hollis.

I would recommend getting the wrist version vs the console.

For now probably get the cheapest one. It won't be your last. My next computer will be a Shearwater Petrel.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2013 at 05:01 PM ----------

Haha we said the same thing in the end

Heh, yep. Another possibility would be a used Shearwater Predator, though that sacrifices the smaller size, better battery options, and easier bungiee mounting of the Petrel to save around $300-$350.

My Philosophy is get something that will cover your diving requirements for several years. If you're gonna do serious rec diving and maybe get into some light tec somewhere down the line, then I recommend the Liquivision Lynx. It's small and easy to read and still does some of the "thinking" for you.
I use the Liquivision Xeo and while it has the same basic features, it has much more capability and is meant for more technical diving and thus requires a greater ability to plan your own dives.

I like the Scubapro UWATEC Tec 2G. Simple, but can do multi gas. Doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles but has what you need and not a lot of what you don't and it's about $400.

If you're gonna do serious rec diving and maybe get into some light tec somewhere down the line, then I recommend the Liquivision Lynx. It's small and easy to read and still does some of the "thinking" for you.

Is the Lynx even slated for availability before 'Spring 2013' right now (and the right now part matters, given how often its release has been delayed at this point)? It's also pegged at ~$1500 for a computer plus transmitter.

So i am new to diving freshly got sdi open water certified on Dec 29th. im 20 years old so i certainly have plenty of diving left in my life. i plan to get my advanced with specialties of nitrox, navigation, buoyancy, and deep diving so i can dive to the flight deck of the big o in pensacola fl. i very well may also get cavern and possibly cave certifications. so my question to you all is which of the 2 cpus should i get? cressi leonardo or hollis dg02? or maybe there are other computers of other brands or models that my local dive shop havent told me about

My advice is start simple. Buy a Suunto Zoop used. Dive till you exceed what it can do (that may take you a while) then sell it for 80% of what you paid.

At that point you'll know what you really want. I troll Craigslist looking for gear (a lot), its depressing how many Titanium regulators are trying to be sold by people that took started their OW and then decided diving was not for them. You don't have to spend tons of money to dive safely

You will get a few recommendations and a lot comes down to personal preference. I would look for the following features:

• Nitrox
  • Ability to use it in gauge mode (the computer doesn't give you deco/NDL info but instead tells you depth and bottom time)

When selecting a nitrox computer, some can only be used up to 40%. This is fine for recreational diving but if you ever go down the tech route, you will want something that can be used up to 100% and allow gas switching. You have shown an interest in deep diving so I suspect this is a route that will interest you one day.

If you ever go down the tech route, and get something with trimix or closed circuit rebreather capabilities, a computer with gauge mode will allow you to use it as a backup instrument to follow a dive plan written on a slate. Some techies do not use a computer at all and choose to 'plan the dive - dive the plan'. They carry two bottom timers so they have a backup. If you do this, your computer in gauge mode will do the job of one of your bottom timers.

I bought the Suunto Vyper Air first. This does everything above. I then bought a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2n that does everything (I don't think they sell it in the States though) and my Vyper Air still has a use as my bottom timer.

Is the Lynx even slated for availability before 'Spring 2013' right now (and the right now part matters, given how often its release has been delayed at this point)? It's also pegged at ~$1500 for a computer plus transmitter.

That's what I get for posting before I've had my coffee.... I actually meant the Kaon. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom