Watch Upgrade for Super Dainty Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanderwhale13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all! I'm looking to get rid of my Cressi Leonardo and go for a little upgrade (still needs to be sub $1000). I dive in murky CA waters and hate having to fumble for the back light button with my gloves on, so I'd like an always on color display.

However, I also have weirdly petite writsts. They would make more sense on the body of a 12 year old girl than on my body (5.25" circumference at the widest part), and even though I'm wearning gloves diving the fit of the Leonardo is still so awkard. I think the problem is the Leonardo doesnt have flexible joints between face and band.

My other priority is ease of download to my dive log. Any recommendations for a compromise between visibility and small wrist fit under $1000 for recreational but not totally beginner diving in cali?

Did you ever try putting your computer partway up your forearm? I’ve always done that. Petite wrists/hands myself. Put your computer there and it’s not an issue.

Hi all! I'm looking to get rid of my Cressi Leonardo and go for a little upgrade (still needs to be sub $1000). I dive in murky CA waters and hate having to fumble for the back light button with my gloves on, so I'd like an always on color display.

However, I also have weirdly petite writsts. They would make more sense on the body of a 12 year old girl than on my body (5.25" circumference at the widest part), and even though I'm wearning gloves diving the fit of the Leonardo is still so awkard. I think the problem is the Leonardo doesnt have flexible joints between face and band.

My other priority is ease of download to my dive log. Any recommendations for a compromise between visibility and small wrist fit under $1000 for recreational but not totally beginner diving in cali?

Have you looked at a Shearwater Peregrine? It's not a "watch", but I think it meets all your other requirements, it's only $530, and it's a big step up from a Leonardo.

What Marie and Stuart said. The Peregrine is a great computer. And with your size wrists any watch-sized dive computer is going to be huge on you anyway, so may as well not limit yourself to that style. The Peregrine's screen is very clear and uncluttered, and is color. Navigating the menus is also very easy. Lastly, you can put it on bungees. That, combined with putting it up your forearm like Marie suggested, might help keep it in place and oriented properly. Or, if you don't care about air integration (the Peregrine doesn't have it anyway), you can put it in a console since you'll be looking at your SPG anyway.

How sub $1000 do you mean?
The Garmin MK2s is listed at under $1000, but only just. $999.99. They do run sales from time to time, or if you have a deal from work you can save some money. When I bought mine there was a $100 rebate, plus a 20% discount that I got through work.

There aren't a ton of color watch sized computers for much less. I saw the Genesis Graviton for around $600, but I know nothing about it. Another option might be the Garmin G1. While it's not color, it's possible the backlight can remain on for the entire dive. I know that's the case for my MK2s, so assuming the same would be available.

You can find used Shearwater Perdix for ~$750-800. A transmitter will run about $200 used. Now you have a great computer with a very clear and easy to read screen. If you don't want AI then the Peregrine is my next recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom