Upgrading from Aeris XR1 NX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRealScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Currently I use an Aeris XR1 NX and would like to upgrade to a computer with slightly more features. Preferably I'd like to stay at or below $350 but could swing a bit higher if need be. I've been diving much more frequently and as much as I try, I'm not very dilligent at filling in my log book before several dives stack up. The XR1 logs 12 dives, but logs them all as #1 and #2 unless more are done within 12 hours. This makes it extremely difficult to locate dives as #1 and #2 changes (depth, time, temperature, etc.) as you cycle through the dive log. I'm looking to relegate it to backup duty. Aeris says that this type of logging is present on all of their computers so that pretty much rules out Aeris, Hollis, and Oceanic.

I've been looking at the Suunto Zoop at my LDS and it seems like a good (and affordable) fit, but still need to confirm how the dive log works. Also, the reviews for the phosphorescent display do not seem stellar. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm not concerned with the length of time it glows as long as it glows brightly enough to read it when hit with a flashlight.

The Cressi Giotto is another contender. My dad currently uses a Leonardo which seems nice (except for the single button). Added bonus of being able to share the same PC cable.

Thoughts and recommendations welcome!

The features I'd like:

Backlight
PC Downloadable

Must haves:

Wrist-strap
User-replaceable battery
2+ buttons
Consecutive numerical dive log regardless of time between dives

Thanks,
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/