Standard Female BC Connector that fits Regulator Hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm searching for a threaded, female BC connector that fits the standard male connector which I find on all the BCs that I've used within the past few years. The female connector needs to screw into a standard second stage, LP regulator hose. Does anyone make one? I have an old ScubaPro version and two male connectors that match but somehow I know I will get into trouble somewhere down the road if my BC does not fit a standard connector.

I'm having one of those rare "bright idea" moments and need to accomplish this before the brilliance fades away :wink:

The connector on the left in the picture is the type of thing I'm looking for, but one that will fit the current standard male connector. The connector on the right is the old style that fits the female connector shown.

Attachments

• WP_20171226_005[1].jpg
    WP_20171226_005[1].jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 202
An aside, why not just use the proper hose? And a modern inflator? (45-degree Oral Power Inflator)

_R

Well, I can use a regulator hose to inflate a BC but can't use a BC inflator hose with a second stage :)

I'm experimenting to see if I can eliminate the octopus hose on my first stage and still have an octopus.

the quick connects for BC's have flow restriction built into them so if they fail they won't blow through all of your gas. As such, they really don't flow nearly enough gas for a second stage.

so what is your plan to try to eliminate the hose and still have a functioning bcd and secondary second stage?

the quick connects for BC's have flow restriction built into them so if they fail they won't blow through all of your gas. As such, they really don't flow nearly enough gas for a second stage.

so what is your plan to try to eliminate the hose and still have a functioning bcd and secondary second stage?

Oh. I thought the restriction was in the hose, not the connector. In that case it might not make a very good connection for an octopus unless it's for my mother-in-law. The old ScubaPro threaded quick-connect that I have seems to have a high flow rate but I have not tried breathing through it. What do they use on the Air II and other integrated systems? The quick-connect appears to be before the second stage.

My thought was to use an existing second stage (I have three or four that might make a good octopus) and make a coupler that would accommodate the needed parts. From what I have seen the integrated systems that are available look kinda iffy and might be difficult to service. If I can use whatever second stage I want I could easily switch one if needed.

Last edited:
@JamesBon92007 the AirII's use a high flow quick connect that is not compatible with the BC nipples that just use a standard schraeder valve.

There are some splitters that can be used, but by the time you do that you have more hoses anyway, and you still have to put the octopus somewhere with the disadvantage of only having one or the other connected at a time...

@JamesBon92007 Is the plan to have the octo usually connected, and to switch the hose to the inflator when needed, or to keep the hose on the inflator except when you need an octo? If the latter, it sounds like a really bad idea, even if you can sort out the flow-rate problem that tbone refers to, which is real, very real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom