DIR- GUE Stage Regulator LP Hose Length: 36" vs. 40"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I tried out carrying a stage bottle for the first time this past weekend and noticed that, while breathing from the stage regulator, the 40" hose may be more than what I need to keep the hose streamlined around my neck. No matter the orientation of the rotating current, there was always a loose loop that I felt could be eliminated with a shorter hose. Is a 36" hose a common solution for that problem? Or 40" is the standard and there's a better way to route the hose?

@ahcalde what first stage are you using? The 40" is common with an Apeks DS4 style first stage without the swivel. If you are using a swivel first stage then 32-36" is better for most people.

@tbone1004 it was a Deep6 Signature. So a swivel turret similar to an MK25 or DST. I feel like 36" would have been the perfect length. I am planning on taking Tech 1 soon, so do you know if GUE has any restrictions related to the stage regulator hose length?

@tbone1004 it was a Deep6 Signature. So a swivel turret similar to an MK25 or DST. I feel like 36" would have been the perfect length. I am planning on taking Tech 1 soon, so do you know if GUE has any restrictions related to the stage regulator hose length?
check with your instructor. The only hose length restricted in the standards is a 7ft primary, but the instructors may be more strict.

40 seems to be a norm around here. I use it on all types of regs , turret or not and do not see any issues with the extra length. Do not tailor it to yourself. It's a team resource. You might need to give your reg/bottle to your team. Happened to us this weekend , I had to give one of my regs to my buddy who has a slightly different build.

And you might need to donate your reg during deco/OOG if one of your members experience a deco bottle reg failure. In that case you would appreciate the extra 4 inch.

Bottles also pivot as they get empty they tend to raise their butt and pull the reg further. Depending on whether you have wrapped the butt bolt snap or not it will pivot differently. AL40 vs AL80 have different diameter and so they would have the regs placed differently.

To many variables so your length will never be perfect.

BTW there is no stage bottle in Tech 1, you are only allowed one deco gas. I know its semantics and I am really nitpicking and the same reg is used for both but you said you are getting ready for Tech 1 so that's important :wink:

I tried out carrying a stage bottle for the first time this past weekend and noticed that, while breathing from the stage regulator, the 40" hose may be more than what I need to keep the hose streamlined around my neck. No matter the orientation of the rotating current, there was always a loose loop that I felt could be eliminated with a shorter hose. Is a 36" hose a common solution for that problem? Or 40" is the standard and there's a better way to route the hose?
40" might be more than you need... But stage and deco bottles are team resources so 40" is most common unless your group of buddies decides otherwise. Donating something as short as 32" is not really that much fun.

Routing wise you can push some of the extra hose into your armpit or not fully rotate the turret on the 1st stage at first.

I would use the 40" for your T1 course and discuss the magnitude of the hose bow with your instructor.

36” on a swivel turret has a longer effective length than a 40” on a fixed body…. If you keep a 40 on there it is for convenience of stocking one hose length.
For reference though I do use 40s on everything I just don’t pull it all the way out

For reference though I do use 40s on everything I just don’t pull it all the way out
I shove the slack into my left armpit instead of having it over my right shoulder

40” is standard, but 36” certainly works. I think I might have a 36” hose on a few of my regs and I don’t notice it one way or another.

I’d stick with 40” if that’s what you’ve got.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom