Stage/Deco cylinder attachment on the Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount_Stu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, Stupid question time.... Hard boat diving in the UK, so Drysuit, steel cylinders, environment where complete kitting up "has" to be done on the boat. How (what process) do you good folk add a stage/deco cylinder?

I'm ok with adding it in the water, but for UK boat diving, this often isn't possible, but i don't seem to be able to find a good method to hook up the stage/deco cylinder on the boat.... help??????

(I place a deco cylinder underneath my left SM cylinder, so it sits up tight against the SM cylinder and my body)

I've found generally the skipper / surface support are usually happy to help clip stages on if you ask. It doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to get you into the water where you can adjust as needed, holding onto the side of the boat, the shotline or even down on the wreck.

-Mark

... i don't seem to be able to find a good method to hook up the stage/deco cylinder on the boat....
I'm in the same place as you.

The only thing that I can think of is an equipment line. Problem is, with my last dive, there would be no way I could cross under the boat due to the current. So the "monster tips for the crew" solution may be to talk the boat into dropping your deco bottle on an equipment line that is clipped to the anchor line.

Good luck, I've all but given up.

Signed,

"Backmount for boats"

I'm in the same place as you.

The only thing that I can think of is an equipment line. Problem is, with my last dive, there would be no way I could cross under the boat due to the current. So the "monster tips for the crew" solution may be to talk the boat into dropping your deco bottle on an equipment line that is clipped to the anchor line.

Good luck, I've all but given up.

Signed,

"Backmount for boats"

I'm not ready to give up... i do agree that backmount is far simpler for kitting up.... but the In Water experience in SM is head and shoulders above BM... so much so i'm prepared to put up with the faff.

My temporary solution is to use a safety loop (chord) clipped at the top of the cylinder to my Chest D ring, leave the bottom clip unattached.... jump in... and on the descent, disconnect the cylinder and re-attach it properly in the water. It's not pretty, or ideal, but it does work.

I'm just hoping that someone can propose a better way of achieving the result.... or how do others "cope" with this situation.

I simply sling my deco bottle between the left waist D-ring and my left chest D-ring, the same as I would with a backmount harness. And hopefully I don't have far to go before stepping off the boat. In this situation, I use short leashes around the left and right tank valves which are also clipped into the left and right D-rings. The leashes control the tanks better than bungies when out of the water. Once in the water, I'll unclip the leashes and attach the bungies to my tanks to get them in proper position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I simply sling my deco bottle between the left waist D-ring and my left chest D-ring, the same as I would with a backmount harness. And hopefully I don't have far to go before stepping off the boat. In this situation, I use short leashes around the left and right tank valves which are also clipped into the left and right D-rings. The leashes control the tanks better than bungies when out of the water. Once in the water, I'll unclip the leashes and attach the bungies to my tanks to get them in proper position.

I'm not sure you understand my problem... that's what i want to achieve, and in water, i can do. But kitting up on the boat, i find it almost impossible to make the connection between lower bolt snap and D ring, because the SM cylinder is too much of a physical obstruction.

Let me preface this with, I know little about UK dive boats.
The small number of times I have had a DM and dived SM from a boat, (southern California) they allowed us to move the deco bottles close to the stern, just before entering the DM would help clip the cylinder(s) on and we would step off.
I used a leash on all cylinders.
Exiting depending on weather conditions required us to either hand them up or climb the ladder where assistance was available.
They extended the same "courtesy" to the CCR divers on the boat.

I'm not sure you understand my problem... that's what i want to achieve, and in water, i can do. But kitting up on the boat, i find it almost impossible to make the connection between lower bolt snap and D ring, because the SM cylinder is too much of a physical obstruction.

How many attachment points on the butt plate and waist harness do you have for the lower clips on your tanks? I use a Stealth harness and have separate rings for the lower attachment of the left cylinder and deco tank.

How many attachment points on the butt plate and waist harness do you have for the lower clips on your tanks? I use a Stealth harness and have separate rings for the lower attachment of the left cylinder and deco tank.

I just use the one... a single waist D ring... although the Stealth Square D rings are also available, but i currently only use those for the pouch and/or SMB/Spool etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom