Stage/deco/BO reg with inline shutoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
It is good to have mentors but they should not become gurus :)

There's a fine line there. If your mentor is also an instructor that you are paying for training, and they tell you to do something a certain way, if you're not going to do it, should you even be employing them as your instructor? :)

There's a fine line there. If your mentor is also an instructor that you are paying for training, and they tell you to do something a certain way, if you're not going to do it, should you even be employing them as your instructor? :)

They should be teaching you to make informed decisions when their exact way of doing things doesn't work in a certain situation. If you're gonna disregard most of what they say, yeah, no reason to be learning from them. But a good instructor will talk out a disagreement, weigh in, and give you their thoughts on that choice. As an example, I was told to leave the NERD 2 at home for my CCR classes and run a HUD, but we had a good discussion about my situation with regards to local diving and agreed that it was a reasonable solution to my issue and a fair point of disagreement.

They should be teaching you to make informed decisions when their exact way of doing things doesn't work in a certain situation. If you're gonna disregard most of what they say, yeah, no reason to be learning from them. But a good instructor will talk out a disagreement, weigh in, and give you their thoughts on that choice. As an example, I was told to leave the NERD 2 at home for my CCR classes and run a HUD, but we had a good discussion about my situation with regards to local diving and agreed that it was a reasonable solution to my issue and a fair point of disagreement.

Of course.

and talk about growing whiskers to know where your left post is when on a dpv :p

talking about a shutoff on a CCR O2 supply?

Yes. Obviously not directly related to what you were asking, but I still think it's relevant and worth bringing up. I think in the next few years the practice of putting a shutoff on 02 on certain units because you can't reach the oxygen bottle will be heavily rethought.

How often do you guys replace your opvs? i've got one on a ccr o2 reg and one on my left post backgas reg (for when i'm diving ccr since the second stage gets replaced with a qc6). Now i'm a feeling a bit anxious about leaving it on there all the time...

I agree with most that adding an inline shutoff and an opv seems excessive for a stage or deco reg. To prevent flooding I usually jump in with them charged and off and then repressurize them briefly once i hit the get to the bottom. I've had them depressurize and move around before but it has never caused a problem.

I'm only halfway through my mod1 yet so still very new to the silence of CCR diving, but I feel like you would definitely hear if you accidentally purged a BO reg, no?

I'm only halfway through my mod1 yet so still very new to the silence of CCR diving, but I feel like you would definitely hear if you accidentally purged a BO reg, no?
How thick is your hood? Are you with a mixed team? DPV or no DPV? In a 10mm+ hood I don’t think it’s super likely to hear.

Best to assume you won't hear it.
On a DPV with a thick hood and my bleh tinnitus, I can barely hear an actual free flowing 2nd. I'm more like to feel the bubbles in my armpit.

How often do you guys replace your opvs? i've got one on a ccr o2 reg and one on my left post backgas reg (for when i'm diving ccr since the second stage gets replaced with a qc6). Now i'm a feeling a bit anxious about leaving it on there all the time...

You have backmounted BO/dil but no 2nd stage or BOV on the left post? That's unusual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom