St Marys River, Georgia/Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8251reefer

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
Anyone out there interested in diving the St Marys River for shark teeth? It is black water diving and I will be diving it by kayak. I have a couple of locations which are not to far of a paddle. I will be on leave from 18August to 7 September and can dive it pretty much any time then. Also, are there any shore dive spots by kayak close to Jacksonville (within 100 miles or so?) Thanks for any help...

I just paddled down the river today to another potential spot for teeth, it was only a 30 minute paddle to the spot. This spot has a lot of erosion and you can actually see the layers in the earth. Some guys fishing said the river in the middle of this area was 25-30 feet deep. I didn't bring any gear with me other than a fishing pole and I didn't see any gators this time out. The place also has a nice packed sand area during low tide which would be the ideal time to dive it. We can park the kayaks there(with anchor attached) and gear up and see what we find. It will have some current but it will not be as strong as the high tide and it won't have sediment suspended in the water. Dive Turkey PM me when you get back I'll be on leave 18Aug to 7sep and can go anytime during the week.
Their are gators but they will not bother you...as long as you are not diving between dusk and dawn. If you have never dove blackwater..It is like diving at night in low vis...If any one wants to paddle out let me know...I also hear that divers den in Georgia is going to start dive charters to the St Marys River for fossil hunts too. I am not sure when that will be but I am definitely gonna dive it with them too when they start it up...

I live off of the crooked river, which it and the St Marys come together just outside of the base. If you want to dive off of my 21' boat just let me know. I might be up to diving it. I did a dive in fernandina back in the spring to clean a buddys prop. The bottom here is very soft and extreemely muddy though. viz will go to crap from stirring up the bottom.
Steve

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom