St. Croix USVI, new to the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to your contributions here as the Caribbean's still one of my to-dive locations on my list.:coffee:

Welcome to the board STX.

I'll probably meet you when we fly our winter coop and head south to the warmth. Say hi to Anne-marie and Derek from cor and julie.

I just heard from another local that night dives are getting more difficult out of Fredricksted. The Department of Homeland Security has decided to close the peir at an earlier time. Just curious if you have any other information. I have been meaning to stop and chat with Derrick and Anna, but have not had a chance.

I have heard that the Rocks and Dolphins at the peir are still diveable from the shore. Dredging has not greatly effected them.

Mobster I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I will be one of your dive leaders for Dive Experience. My name is Kevin.

CobaltDiver:
I just heard from another local that night dives are getting more difficult out of Fredricksted. The Department of Homeland Security has decided to close the peir at an earlier time. Just curious if you have any other information. I have been meaning to stop and chat with Derrick and Anna, but have not had a chance.

I have heard that the Rocks and Dolphins at the peir are still diveable from the shore. Dredging has not greatly effected them.

Mobster I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I will be one of your dive leaders for Dive Experience. My name is Kevin.

Homeland Security never had any part in closing the pier at night before, it was under control of the port authority. Are you sure it's not in relation to bunkering ships that might now be able to come in during evening hours more than previously? I think if they try and close the pier permanently at night there will be a lot of upset locals that fish off it. I can't see it happening.

Welcome

The never ending saga of the Port Authority vs Commerce continues! Over the weekend we learned that the Port Authority is opening the gates in the AM (sorry don't remember the exact time...if there is such a thing on this island) and shutting the gates at dusk. Did not present a problem until last week however, as the Port Authority provided Derrick, Dave and Scuba West with a key to the lock on the gate. Somebody destroyed the padlock, so they decided that there would no longer be any keys given out to the scuba shops. We had dove 4 nights from the first of July, with full boats, so the night dives were popular. Further it seems that the Frederiksted Pier is over run with local kids having fun diving and otherwise hanging out on the pier. Locking the gate merely keeps the divers out, as none of these kids have vehicles. Access is very easily gained by walking around the fence, but not so easy as to lug diving gear and tanks around the gate to use the pier as the landing for the night dives. It seems that things change daily/weekly over there, so for the moment N2 has called off any night dives, but if the Port Authority modifies their policy, we'll be back at it. It is a very nice location for night diving. The Pier itself has always been popular, but since the dredging started I have not dove it at night, nor have I spoke to anyone who has. As a side note, we hear from the dredging contractor that they've encountered "bed-rock" at a much shallower depth than represented by the Port Authority, and their attempts to break through it remain unsuccessful, so the contractor will be pulling out soon!

Are you doing any night dives over at Dive Experience?

(later today "this just in") as things go on St. Croix, Derrick now has a key to the entrance gate on the Pier. My hunch: we'll do some night dives as demand dictates. Diane and I love to do them...(right up 'til the time we see a large carnivore, then one of us turns into a panty-w a s t e real quick!)

Keith

PS Bella, consider it done!

Stcroix2, can you tell anne that her picture is in the July issue of Duiken. We're bringing a copy with us in January when we come, but her friends and family still in the netherlands might like to read the article and see the pic.

Welcome to the Crazy world of the scubaboard! Great to have some locals onboard. If you ever need any advice or help, we're here for you.

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Back
Top Bottom