SSI vs. PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I REALLY appreciate everyone insight. I think Scubaboard must be one of the best forums on the web. Special thanks to Walter, I'll be printing out that reply for when it's time to make the final decision on an instructor. Thanks gdwtvb.

As has been said many times in this thread, it is truly the instructor not the agency. I am SSI and like the fact that they require a number of dives. I talked with a PADI shop about advanced dives when I had 15 dives and felt that I wasn't personally ready to go to 130 feet that this shop wanted to take me. I stuck with SSI LDS, but it is due to the owner. He never pushes equipment, yet gives me free air as I have bought 90% of my gear (and my family ....now wife and 4 kids) from him. This has actually allowed me to gain diving experience. Definitely decide based on the instructors, not the agency. By the way, my favorite instructor is NAUI and a former Navy EOD diver!!

2905luvsbubbles:
As has been said many times in this thread, it is truly the instructor not the agency.

An often quoted myth.

I just got my YMCA OW. Only local choices were the Y and PADI. Went to both shops, talked to the staff. Asked the questions I found here. When i finished the interview process the choice was clear. Also did the class with my wife and 17 yr old son. Find the school/instructor that is the best fit for you.

Both agencies suck.

Wait! I mean, both agencies are great.

Ah...whatever.

I like Walter's post. But in truth, unless you pay big bucks to the rare private instructor for one-on-one lessons, you are apt to get mediocre training.

But do not fret, all is not lost. IMHO, the best training comes after the class - regardless of the agency. The smartest thing you can do for you and your son is find some experienced divers to hook up with, then listen, watch and learn from them. Good post-class mentoring can teach you more than you would believe. Mentors do not have to sell you gear to exist, they are not hooked to an agency or product brand.

There are some unsafe divers out there that you don't want to be mentored by, so be selective.

BTW, good for you, taking up scuba with your son! My dad and I trained together when I was 13, and I'm absolutely positive that all that diving together through the teen-aged years kept us closer and kept our relationship strong during a difficult time.

Since I commented on the first page I had another thought. This past weekend one of my students completed her checkout dives. We are by far the highest priced course in the area. But.....I allowed this diver to do as many pool sessions as she needed. As it turns out she needed a lot before her comfort level got to the point where she could perform skills properly.

It took 5 months, twice a week in the pool.

No extra charge for her. She stuck it out and she earned her card.

Id agree with you AL, I am an SSI dive con, and in our shop there is a deffinate black and white between which instructors I recommend to my friends. there is not only a combo of good/better instructors within agencies, but also within shops.(notice Id did not say anyone was bad) I say this concious free because my friends at the PADI shop near me I feel the same about, Id take from one instructor but not the other. I would go with which ever instructor is more personable, and capeable of answering questions with out trying to pat their own backs. but that is my simple oppinion.
Clay

I believe Walter's post is spot on.

I took many of his points into condiseration when choosing my instructor and i believe i made the right choice as my instructor is a diamond. I really believe that my instructor is a class 'A' bloke and he falls into many a positive category that Walter explains in his post.

Like it has been quoted many times in this thread, go with what your most comfortable with. I would never compromise my mentor with a better qualification for anything!

Scotty

People get really emotional about the agency question and I think it gets overblown. When my wife and I got certified a few years ago, we asked people we knew and got extreme opinions in favor and opposed to every major agency. When we asked for specifics, these people fell short on justification for their zealotry. We decided we should just interview different instructors ourselves.

We ended up getting certified with a PADI instructor, but it really didn't have much to do with the agency. We really liked what he had to say when we interviewed him. I think the agency is less important than the individual instructor and the attitude of the student. The way you describe yourself and your son, you will probably do well with any good instructor. The real learning begins after you get your C-card.

As far as SSI pushing gear goes, that's just SSI's way of trying to support their shops. You could make a similar criticism of PADI. They pimp all kinds of certifications, resorts, etc.

I tend to agree with the posts that the instructor really makes the class. Also, a large part depends on your own attitude, willingness to learn, and attention to safety. Ultimately, you're in charge of your diving, whether it's doing the research on a class and instructor, or deciding whether you feel comfortable and safe entering the water for a dive on any given day.

Two last notes:

I would recommend taking a multi-week course as opposed to some of the weekend cram courses. At least for me, while less convenient, it felt more comfortable reviewing skills twice a week for three weeks in class and pool session, followed by a weekend of checkout dives. There are some courses that do all the class and pool work in one intense weekend and then the checkouts the week after. It just doesn't feel like you retain as much information that way.

Some people worry about getting "locked in" to an agency early on. However, it is actually fairly easy to cross certify. e.g., my wife and I have our OW SSI certs, and this year got our PADI AOW without any issues.

Best of luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom