Ssi Vs Padi And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver:
I fear that too many newly-trained divers might take their AOW card as a "license to do anything." It scares me.

I think we are both on the same page, Gary. I would rather have divers load that supervised training upfront, rather than further out. That would mean doing the deep dive, rescue, navigation at the front, rather than later.

garyfotodiver:
But the PADI AOW card "allows" one to do dives for which the diver might not be qualified. Even though I have dived well below 60fsw many times, I do not think that I would do a wreck at 130fsw without a lot of thought, mentoring, and practice.

I fear that too many newly-trained divers might take their AOW card as a "license to do anything." It scares me.

Technically it "allows" one to dive in the same conditions you were trained in and within those limits. The prescribed depths are maximums suggested for that rating.

Kinda like a driving instructor saying you handled going at 65 mph well, so you should stick to that... yet people choosing to go 75 mph just because the road sign "allows" them to and its just a little bit faster anyway... "what difference could it make?"

It really comes down to your instructors/mentors/buddies really hammering the impression of respect for limits and comfort, regardless of what other people may tempt you into doing.

rakkis:
Technically it "allows" one to dive in the same conditions you were trained in and within those limits. The prescribed depths are maximums suggested for that rating.

Kinda like a driving instructor saying you handled going at 65 mph well, so you should stick to that... yet people choosing to go 75 mph just because the road sign "allows" them to and its just a little bit faster anyway... "what difference could it make?"

It really comes down to your instructors/mentors/buddies really hammering the impression of respect for limits and comfort, regardless of what other people may tempt you into doing.

I never thought of it in that way, but in the same sense, I feel that I am meeting the requirement. I never dove deeper than 90 ft during AOW. And all the dives I've done since has been 92 ft or less.

Do I feel I need to go deeper, yes. But not without letting my DM knowing my intention (or a more experienced buddy who has recently done deeper dives). I do understand the physiology of aging, and my brain might not be able to process at a deeper depth than a younger diver.

My practical limit for my diving is now at 90 ft.... I will probably increase it, under supervision.... And if I can not tolerate it, I will go shallower. Afterall, the prettiest sealifes are seen at above 50 ft.

That's a good approach/attitude to have about it. I wish more divers were as prudent.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against pushing the envelope a bit.. but there's ways to do it safely and ways to get hurt.

Nice quote from Walter.

In reality, all the OW programs teach fairly close to the same thing. They may do it differently and some of the skills learned may be different but for the most part they are pretty close. The instructor is the one responsibly for teaching you well and making sure you can practice those skills.

The main thing that should be taught though is that the OW card is a license to learn and get more experience. IMHO the advanced course and the rescue course should be almost manditory for anyone who wishes to continue diving. The stuff you learn in OW is just a foundation so that you probably won't hurt yourself. From that point you can rack up experience and hopefully too much won't come at you all at once. Or you can move on to the advanced courses and rack up training hopefully before you encounter any of the actual problems that you will eventually come across given enough bottom time.

That's a great list. About the only thing I'd add (I beleive it's actually on a different version of this list somewhere on the board is

"How long does it take to get certified?"

Any answer other than "As long as it takes." should be a clue to keep on looking.

People learn at different rates. Some can learn everything well in 6 or 8 classes, some take much longer. The shop should be willing to let you continue taking classes and/or pool sessions until both you and the instuctor feel you have a good handle on things.

Terry

DawgDiver:
Hi there, welcome to the board. You will probably get alot of answers on this subject, but I don't think anybody has ever answered it better than Walter. So if you continue on and read the below quote, I think you will find the answer you are looking for.

We'll I'am a PADI DM and an SSI Dive Con. (AI) In the SSI shop that I am hanging with now, they use weight integrated BC's, but teach the ditching of a weight belt. The students use computers, but they teach the tables. There are good instructors and there are bad. Sometimes its experience and sometimes it's the ability to relate to the students. Personaly, I'd shop Instructors, the agency stuff will filter out later. Do not sign up at the shop and find out at the first class who the instructor is. To late !

I think PADI might be a better place to pick up merit badges.

adios

garyfotodiver:
But the PADI AOW card "allows" one to do dives for which the diver might not be qualified. Even though I have dived well below 60fsw many times, I do not think that I would do a wreck at 130fsw without a lot of thought, mentoring, and practice.

All of my students get the License to learn speech meaning that just because you got the card doesn't mean ya know it all yet. Card is just a head start to hasten the learning curve. Of course don't forget that you can't force people to believe this philosophy and someone witht the attitude that they can and will do whatever they want will do just that and you can't stop them.
THERE ARE NO SCUBA POLICE OUT THERE TO PROTECT AND SERVE THE DIVING PUBLIC.

95yj:
Nice quote from Walter.

Thank you.

95yj:
In reality, all the OW programs teach fairly close to the same thing. They may do it differently and some of the skills learned may be different but for the most part they are pretty close. The instructor is the one responsibly for teaching you well and making sure you can practice those skills.

Sorry, but that's simply not the case. There are big differences from one program to another. Those who honestly believe that haven't looked at different standards very closely.

95yj:
The main thing that should be taught though is that the OW card is a license to learn and get more experience. IMHO the advanced course and the rescue course should be almost manditory for anyone who wishes to continue diving. The stuff you learn in OW is just a foundation so that you probably won't hurt yourself. From that point you can rack up experience and hopefully too much won't come at you all at once. Or you can move on to the advanced courses and rack up training hopefully before you encounter any of the actual problems that you will eventually come across given enough bottom time.

AOW is almost worthless as a learning experience. The only reasons most people take it is because some agencies use it as a prerequisite to take rescue and some charters requite it before they allow folks to dive to 100 feet. Why would anyone want to require 3 courses to dive when one will do? There are still some excellent OW courses available.

Walter:
AOW is almost worthless as a learning experience. The only reasons most people take it is because some agencies use it as a prerequisite to take rescue and some charters requite it before they allow folks to dive to 100 feet. Why would anyone want to require 3 courses to dive when one will do? There are still some excellent OW courses available.

It was not worthless for me. Wished I had taken the OW course that you had.

Back
Top Bottom