Ssi Vs Padi And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver:
I don't know where you took a SSI AOW course, but I did several classes for specialties for mine. In addition, the instructor had already gotten a sense of my abilities during the 2 dives for Stress/Rescue, which in SSI comes before AOW. That is partly because one needs a certain number of logged dives before the SSI AOW.

I did not imply less course, but just a different approach to AOW cert. With my respect for SSI's standard, it seems that SSI AOW cert might actually require more instruction, more class time, and perhaps more skills than PADI AOW... I am just saying that one org will honor the other's AOW cert, even though they are quite different in their requirement. I did not intend to imply any less to SSI's cert process.

fisherdvm:
I did not imply less course, but just a different approach to AOW cert. With my respect for SSI's standard, it seems that SSI AOW cert might actually require more instruction, more class time, and perhaps more skills than PADI AOW... I am just saying that one org will honor the other's AOW cert, even though they are quite different in their requirement. I did not intend to imply any less to SSI's cert process.

Well, the SSI AOW requires four specialty courses in addition to at least 24 logged dives. In my case, I did Equipment, Computer Diving, Stress/Rescue, Deep Diving, & EAN. Oh, and I had about 200 dives before I took AOW. This is different from that other agency where one can do AOW with 5 additional dives with an instructor, so one can be "advanced" with no more than 9 instructor-led dives.

No derogatory implications intended, but I like the SSI philosophy better.

ok thanks for the input like i stated before i have never dived before and wanted to make sure i got a good course do to the fact bad instruction and lead to me not liking the sport i really think i will like it just have read and see there is so many different classes and also my honeymoon is almost all diving neither of us have ever dived and want a lot of great memories so with everyones opinion the class i am going through should be good enough for my dives in belize

I think, Sam, it doesn't matter who you cert with, if you don't continue to read about the sport, and do the sport, you are not going to remember squat when you do your once a year vacation in the tropics dive.

You can go PADI, and finish advanced open water, like I did within the first 20 dives, or do Gary's approach with 4 specialty and 200 dives, and get advance open water certificate.... Both will produce a fine diver if you continue to dive, read, take classes, and browse the accident and incident thread of Scubaboard.

If your intention is to be a dive professional, the route you take seems to be equally flexible, and one certifying agency will accept most of the prerequisites programs by the other programs.

What you really want, Sam, is to find a good instructor. The agency really doesn't matter. Find someone who you can talk to, who understands what YOU want from diving, and follow the advice and training.

Eventually, you will develop a style and possibly a favorite type of diving. For example, I like diving the reefs in S. Florida. This doesn't mean that I won't dive other spots. Last year I did Lake Michigan, and have dived quarries in Wisconsin. Early in my career, I dived in Maine (Brrrrr!) and did a wreck off the NJ coast in late December (Double Brrrrr!!)

Have Fun and Good Luck!

A disadvantage (or advantage) of PADI advanced open water diver certification is, you can be relatively inexperienced an carry an AOW cert card.

This can play in your favor, as you can participate in challenging dives that a DM might not let someone without proof with a OW card.

Or it can play against you, if you don't have the experience to back it up. You might find yourself in deeper dives, currents you are not familiar with, and challenges you have not encountered.

It certainly can be nice just to carry your C card on vacation and not have to bring your dive book to prove your level of expertise.

loosebits:
NAUI has more requirements than PADI and SSI for completing OW. That doesn't mean every NAUI instructor out there will teach a better class than every PADI instructor out there but it does mean that it is better to have a NAUI instructor teaching the bare minimum than a PADI instructor doing the same.

In other words, it is the agency that defines how low the bar can be.

PADI has generally led the way in hacking away requirements for OW. From what I know of SSI, they have done a good job keeping up.
That's very well said.

Might I add to it?:

PADI not only defines how low the bar may be placed, they also discourage placing it any higher. PADI has a very rigid program in which not only are the skills to be taught defined but the actual order in which the skills are taught is regimented. This is a boon to the marginal instructor but deprives the quality instructor of flexibility to tailor the class to student needs. PADI has a very short program and actively discourages instructors from adding to it. This also helps the marginal instructor and can hinder the quality instructor.

fisherdvm:
Or it can play against you, if you don't have the experience to back it up. You might find yourself in deeper dives, currents you are not familiar with, and challenges you have not encountered.

Not to sound rude, but you don't pick a dive from numbered doors and then get stuck with it. You actually have a choice of whether or not to do a dive if you are not comfortable with it. Just because you have the word "advanced" printed on a piece of plastic does not mean you can dive anytime/anywhere.

Either way you choose to go, you'll gain more knowledge and get more experienced under supervision. However, nothing beats experience and practice. Get out there and dive! :)

rakkis:
Not to sound rude, but you don't pick a dive from numbered doors and then get stuck with it. You actually have a choice of whether or not to do a dive if you are not comfortable with it. Just because you have the word "advanced" printed on a piece of plastic does not mean you can dive anytime/anywhere.

Either way you choose to go, you'll gain more knowledge and get more experienced under supervision. However, nothing beats experience and practice. Get out there and dive! :)

All of your dives, good, and especially bad ones, add up to experience.

However, dives that ends in death or disability might not count toward the experience column... he, he, he...

I think the key word here is experience under supervision, which PADI AOW allows. I admit, the AOW requirement really should be a part of the OW course anyway. Therefore, all the argument about PADI's low standard can be made up if you took AOW... Not to discount any other divers AOW cert.

fisherdvm:
All of your dives, good, and especially bad ones, add up to experience.

However, dives that ends in death or disability might not count toward the experience column... he, he, he...

I think the key word here is experience under supervision, which PADI AOW allows. I admit, the AOW requirement really should be a part of the OW course anyway. Therefore, all the argument about PADI's low standard can be made up if you took AOW... Not to discount any other divers AOW cert.

But the PADI AOW card "allows" one to do dives for which the diver might not be qualified. Even though I have dived well below 60fsw many times, I do not think that I would do a wreck at 130fsw without a lot of thought, mentoring, and practice.

I fear that too many newly-trained divers might take their AOW card as a "license to do anything." It scares me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom