SSI vs. Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grasstrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to SCUBA and my LDS is has the SSI training schedule. I was wondering how this compared to others such as PADI. Which is the best, for quality of training not speed.

grasstrimmer:
I am new to SCUBA and my LDS is has the SSI training schedule. I was wondering how this compared to others such as PADI. Which is the best, for quality of training not speed.
There is a lot of variation in instructors, with both good, bad and average in all of the organizations... so while I might be partial to NAUI, (instru #4186), in the end, it is the combination of what the student wants to get out of it, and the quality of the instructor.

Why SSI's the best, of course.
:D
Rick (SSI DCSI)

I never thought it made much difference until I dove with a new (18 dives) SSI trained diver in Cozumel a couple weeks ago. He had a Hog rig (so he did a good job with his gear research) and his bouyany and trim made him look like a veteran diver. Maybe there is a difference.

I never thought it made much difference until I dove with a new (18 dives) SSI trained diver in Cozumel a couple weeks ago. He had a Hog rig (so he did a good job with his gear research) and his bouyany and trim made him look like a veteran diver. Maybe there is a difference.

grasstrimmer:

PADI is the best at marketing. Training will depend on your instructor.

I liked SSI from OW thru Master Diver. My training was in the Bahamas. I did not like the local SSI Shop at home so when I went Pro I went with NAUI, (I didn't like the local PADI shop either) :D

If I was starting over with what I know now. I'd go with NAUI all the way. They have excellent training for recreational, professional, and technical divers.

Yes I'm biased too!! :D
NAUI 41184

I see no difference in content, structure, or material between SSI and PADI ow when I accompanied my son through his pool and OW dive with SSI. SSI require a "5th OW dive" which is a short snorkel skill swim. PADI requires training to use a free flow regulator in OW, but SSI does not. Apparently, Walter noted that only YMCA and PADI require that skill (free flow breathing) to be taught in the OW curriculum. In my opinion, there is no difference in core content, so you'd have to look at the individual instructor.

Back
Top Bottom