SSI "Stress and Rescue" Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you should have received a DVD with the SSI Diver Stress and Rescue course. While not absolutely critical, it does help you understand the course materials more. You paid for it, you should ask the LDS for it.

He might have paid for it and he might not. The dvd is strictly an option. Some shops charge for the books & course without the dvd. Others offer the dvd as an add on.

I just like having the book and DVD for review later. Of course I have all my books and DVDs from OW to instructor manual and I refer to them occasionally. But that is just the Dork in me.

Granted, I haven't taught in a number of years, but when I was researching becoming an instructor, SSI's program, at least in my mind for basic open water, the best available. The shop I taught for required 5 open water dives, with one of those being a night dive. When I was teaching it was in the Seattle area, and the general agreement between instructors in the area was if you could learn to dive in Puget Sound (great visibility was 30-40', water temperature usually 45-50f, tidal exchanges between 8 and 12 feet) that you could pretty much dive anywhere you wanted without much concern.

I did, and still do think that SSI's no-nonsense requirements for Stress/Rescue (which you must have to go to a Master Diver rating or anything above) are a shining light. It was nice to see students who went through that course when I taught it have a confidence boost in their diving ability and their ability to know they could truly respond to assist another diver. Personally my hat is off to SSI for holding the line on this course.

Hey all,

I completed my SSI stress and rescue last weekend and we had the same with the whole 3 questions wrong i was fine but 1 of the people did get 4 or 5 wrong but the instructor reviewed what question he got wrong, discussed them with him and said she would accept his exam.

What im saying is that i think it depends on the instructor.
And personally i thought the class was excellent and im just starting my SSI Dive Con

if there is any speciffic question any of you have about the course from the student point of view feel free to ask.

brad

Well I about to get a Hot debate started hear but this is MY opinion and from what I have observed.
First My SSI stress and rescue class was harder than my Padi rescue class basically same material. However we had a harder test with SSI and more Hands on. Both class’s are excellent class and feel all divers should take them.

My PADI rescue class was more difficult and strenuous then an friend of mine who had a different instructor. We also had more medical/DAN related discussions during my class. The instructor did fail at least one student that I was aware of. When I heard that a friend had his 12 year of old daughter take the Rescue Class with another agency other than PADI and she was not required to complete some of the required tasks. Is there a junior rescue class or something like that (not referring to PADI)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom