SSI "Stress and Rescue" Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2fishfork

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently took the SSI "Stress and Rescue" class and was curious as to the requirements. Our trainer required a score of 88% in order to pass the test and three of the five students failed on the first attempt. This seems like a high percentage (22/25), is this correct?

Also is CPR/First Aid an SSI requirement or just nice to have?

Regarding CPR, yes, First Aid and Adult CPR are pre-requirements of the course.

love2fishfork:
I recently took the SSI "Stress and Rescue" class and was curious as to the requirements. Our trainer required a score of 88% in order to pass the test and three of the five students failed on the first attempt. This seems like a high percentage (22/25), is this correct?

Also is CPR/First Aid an SSI requirement or just nice to have?

SSI Standards and Procedures Page 25 Paragraph 15.

Each student receiving Stress and Rescue Diver certification must have current training in first aid and CPR and provide proof of certification.​

Page 2-12 of the Stress and Rescue Instructor Manual Section VII. Item B. states:

To be certified, the student must pass the final exam with no more than 3 incorrect answers. No student may enter the open water without having passed the exam.

The examination consists of 25 questions so three missed questions would be 88 percent.​

I'm glad that SSI has those requirement's in place. Sometime's when I dive with somebody with another cert. agency I sometimes question myself,"If something happen's to me will they be able to help?"! I'm glad the good folks in Ft. Collin's care about the levelof training they strive to achive, unlike another agency, who is Put Another Doll...............! You get my drift.

BUT WHAT I'M REALLY GLAD OF:
is that the standard's of training haven't gone back to the "good" old day's of the 60's early 70's when we used to dive double hoses, and your instructor made you do push ups in full gear!!:11:

Take care everyone!!

I agree that the standards need to be high as this is a very important skill. But I think SSI and other agencies could do a better job at testing our skills, for example this test included a question like: "What is the least popular method of towing a victim?" Is towing method popularity really relevant? What skill is being tested by this question?

Not wanting to start a big argument here! Just curious!

The question is testing whether or not you understand the differences between towing methods, and which are the more preferred. The test question is simply asking it the other way. But yes, the question is very relevant.

love2fishfork:
I agree that the standards need to be high as this is a very important skill. But I think SSI and other agencies could do a better job at testing our skills, for example this test included a question like: "What is the least popular method of towing a victim?" Is towing method popularity really relevant? What skill is being tested by this question?

Not wanting to start a big argument here! Just curious!

love2fishfork:
for example this test included a question like: "What is the least popular method of towing a victim?" Is towing method popularity really relevant? What skill is being tested by this question?

Well obviously, they want you to look good while you are rescueing someone, and you'll look like a :dork2: if you use an unpopular towing method.

I see the basic questions got answered. I also highly recommend DAN O2 provider course to my students to help round out their rescue education and training.

I just signed up for stress and rescue today. I was wondering if anyone had a link to the curricula? The SSI site just gives a brief out line of the class goals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom