SSI "Stress and Rescue" Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Snake...I teach SSI Stress & Rescue and PADI Rescue Diver. They are no links to the curriculum but I can give you a rough idea. The instructor may modify the sequence to suit the needs of the class.

You should be purchasing the SSI S&R student book and DVD. Really get to know them. Take your time and go through it a few times. Especially watch the DVD. Everything you do skill-wise you will see ont the DVD. I can always tell who has watched it because the know how to do most of the water skills before I even demonstrate them.

There should be very little lecture time as you self study most of it. The instructor may want to emphasize some points. I usually teach 2 sessions in class room and pool environment. In session one we review:

What is Strress
Stress in Diving: Cause and Prevention
Detecting and Dealing with Stress

We have a pool in my shop, so the first night we spend reviewing basic self-aid skills, air sharing, cramp removal, emergency swimming ascent, BC removal under water, etc. This is to help ensure that potential rescuers don't also become victims themselves. We practice tows and pushes and asisting with buddy exits.

In class 2 we review:
Accident management
Basic CPR and FA
Recognizing and FA for deco sickness
Panic and rescue management
Conditions that complicate rescues

We also take the final exam. And yes, only three questions can be missed. A make up can be taken at a later time if you fail.

In the pool that night we go over budy assist skills such as inflating a BC, helping to replace a BC after removal, ditching weight belts. Then we review all the various assists such as tired diver on surface, panic diver on surface, tired diver under water, panic diver underwater. Also, unconscious diver on surface and underwater.

Then finally, you will have one or two days of open water training where you will do all the rescue scenarios again. You also have more exits you can do (dock, shore, back board, etc.). I also use that environment to teach underwater search techniques.

Good luck and have fun. I love to teach this course and see what it does to enhance diver's skill level and appreciation of the sport.

Depends on the shop, but generally not. Expect to pay about $160 for the class and $43 for the book and DVD.

I paid $165 inclusive 3 years ago. Price is $185 now.

Not bad. This was the best training that I took.

jscott099:
I see the basic questions got answered. I also highly recommend DAN O2 provider course to my students to help round out their rescue education and training.

I'd recommend DAN's full Dive Emergency Management Provider (DEMP) course. It includes O2 first aid, AED's for diving injuries and First Aid for Marine Life Injuries. The course I took was the DEMP+ and it included Advance O2 as well. It's a good course and I'd recommend it to all divers.

Just signed up for the DEMP+ course. I loved the S&R course so much, I wanted 'more.' The DEMP course seemed the next logical step. Plus with DAN's DES 'promotion' going on, I will get a free patch. And you know, it's all about the patches! :wink:

Divin'Hoosier:
I'd recommend DAN's full Dive Emergency Management Provider (DEMP) course. It includes O2 first aid, AED's for diving injuries and First Aid for Marine Life Injuries. The course I took was the DEMP+ and it included Advance O2 as well. It's a good course and I'd recommend it to all divers.

I am signed up and have read the book and done all of the quizzes. The package, however, came with no DVD. Is this normal?

Classes won't start until October.

Not sure which of the two we are talking about DEMP or SSI S&R. The DEMP does NOT come with a DVD...the instructor will show that during the class. The SSI S&R does come with a DVD and should be viewed prior to class.

My class is SSI. The box came from the LDS with no shrink wrap on it. Was there supposed to be a DVd in with the book? I did receive the slate for accident management.

Yes, you should have received a DVD with the SSI Diver Stress and Rescue course. While not absolutely critical, it does help you understand the course materials more. You paid for it, you should ask the LDS for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom