SRP The Tray eBay Clone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't all the other cameras like ultralight have horizontal trays though anyways? You can always use loc-line to push the cameras back. I like the idea of forward reach though to get closer.

I threw together a sketch very quickly:
bfBuNrz.jpg

The rod will bolt onto the handle. I will see what the cost is after machining and see if this is even worth it. At the moment, it is looking like around 80 shipped for the materials including 2' of locline. I can make it cheaper if other people are interested and I buy larger lengths of metal.

If your horizontal tray length is 12" the the handle height should be 6&3/4" (6.75") to make a 16:9 ration. Functions as a rough viewfinder

I want to dive with sea lions so much even though I've heard they're assholes lol.

Is 0.75" really going that big of a difference? Well, it'll be 0.25" since it's a 0.5" thick base tray.

I'm using tripod adapters and stainless steel screws and/or bolts to attach the cameras to the trays. I cut threads in the holes in the trays and file the treads off a section of the screw. This keeps the screw from falling out when not attached to anything and to rotate when screwed into a camera base.

The Nikonos strobe arms have their own knobs (and can be purchased on ebay, BTW)

To attach the lights to the strobe arms I'm using Fenix style flash-light-to-handle-bar adapters with their internal metal parts replaced by stainless steel screws.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2013 at 10:10 AM ----------

Does this address your need?

ModularHose.com - Fixed Mount Tips

Loc-Line 60533 Fixed Mount

304 is just a standard non-marine grade stainless steel. For salt water uses the recommended grade is 316 or 316L which is low carbon. From what I understand of steel grades if you use 304 you will need to wash and flush/clean thoroughly every time or it will pit and corrode quite quickly in salt water. - Phil.

I was just looking at divegearexpress.com and came across this:
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Single Tank Adapter (STA)

They make their STA out of "304 Marine Grade Stainless" It doesn't seem logical that they would use something that would corrode easily for this piece. Are there "Marine Grade" and "Non-Marine Grade" versions of 304?

No, as far as I know 304 is not marine grade. I think 304 can be "passivated" which increases corrosion resistance by forming a bonded oxide layer on the surface, but marine grade is 316. I have no idea why DR should call 304 marine grade if this is correct

A quick search online gives multiple references which seem to confirm that 304 is "standard stainless" and 316 marine grade.

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am trying to figure out what screw material I should use. Type 316 should be enough right? I'm not sure if I need to get a more resistant material since it will probably have more frictional wear vs the tray.

I am trying to figure out what screw material I should use. Type 316 should be enough right? I'm not sure if I need to get a more resistant material since it will probably have more frictional wear vs the tray.
I went to Home Depot or Lowes and bought what ever they had in SS that fit need. Brass works too. They are all stronger than the plastic connectors on the camera housing. You are going to soak in fresh water (with a little detergent) and dry after use anyway. If you can't find what you need, try Tri-City Bolt here in Pinellas County, they supply a lot of the local marine manufacturing. (Be warned, you risk your life driving over on I-4 but they may ship too) :)

Back
Top Bottom