SRP The Tray eBay Clone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How thick is that? 1/4"?

I might just stop by Home Depot on my way back home and pick up a piece. Might just use a dremel cutting wheel to cut the aluminum.

I used 1/2" bar stock because the Nikonos strobe arms can't close much further than that. (Originally made it 20 years ago for a pair of Nikonos V cameras.)

Just got some 1/8" bar stock which seems pretty hefty already.

They had some other smaller pieces of metal cut down, but I wasn't sure what it was made of so I didn't buy it, especially since it didn't have that aluminum shine. I think they were straps for putting together playsets, but I didn't want to risk it not being corrosion resistant.

Now I just gotta find some handles!

What do you think of this?
Handle Hand Grip Camera SLR DSLR Stabilizer for LED Flashlite 1 4'' Black | eBay

I can probably throw a nut on the other side of the tray since the tray is too thin.

Just add some lanyards so you don't lose anything---cameras, lights, etc. I'm experimenting with fishing leader for this.

You lanyard everything down? I have a clip for the GoPro to my harness, but I figured the lights were hard mounted. I was just going to move the clip to the tray.

Considering this grip as well:
New Hand Grip Handle Support with 1 4" Screw Thread for Pentax Q Camera | eBay

I am having a tough time figuring out how to attach the loc-line to the handles :|

I think I will be buying 3/4" loc line for the grips and 1/2" for the strobe.

Last edited:
The Fenix style adapters I use to hold my lights aren't made for salt water so I've had two or three fail 'til I replaced their innerds with stainless steel. My GoPro 3D rig is attached by two tripod adaptors so I don't worry about it, but I have had another camera's tripod adapter fail and have a friend who lost their GoPro on a dive. I use a wrist lanyard to the tray as well so I can just let go if I need two hands.

I just bookmarked this locline thread for future reference:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/strobes-lighting/472172-diy-how-build-strobe-arms-cheap.html

and post #25 in this thread has some info about locline attachment:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/463531-archon-d11v-video-light-review-3.html

Yup, I think I will just buy loc-line from mcmastercarr. It's only 8 bucks a foot.

I actually think I might just go with 3/4" throughout since some people are saying 1/2" is too loose.

Should I get 3 or 4' of locline for both arms. 2 x ( 6" dedicated as a grip + 18" for arm)?

Yea, I am considering that. I plan on buying a metal bar from mcmaster though since I know specifically which alloy it is.

I am also considering making my own handles now. Just getting a 7/8" aluminum rod and having it threaded on both ends so it can be attached to the tray and loc-line. I'm not toooo bothered by the orange loc-line. I like being obnoxious :p

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :)

Not sure the SS model has the same angle ~90 dgres as the SRP tray Not a fan of the horizontal trays, it's a good idea to have the camera forward

[video=youtube_share;fRI2ABE0aOM]http://youtu.be/fRI2ABE0aOM[/video]

Don't all the other cameras like ultralight have horizontal trays though anyways? You can always use loc-line to push the cameras back. I like the idea of forward reach though to get closer.

I threw together a sketch very quickly:
bfBuNrz.jpg

The rod will bolt onto the handle. I will see what the cost is after machining and see if this is even worth it. At the moment, it is looking like around 80 shipped for the materials including 2' of locline. I can make it cheaper if other people are interested and I buy larger lengths of metal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom