squeaky reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got back from Cabo, and my rental reg wheezed/squeaked if I picked up my head below 20 feet - didn't notice a difference in how it breathed, just darned irritating noise.... What might have caused this, and could it have been dangerous?

What brand/model of reg was it?

I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice. I looked it over at the shop to make sure it was in outwardly good condition, and did the whole check thing whilst setting up my gear, but did not look for a model or maker...

Is there a brand that is notorious for this? I'd like to own gear someday and definately do not want to end up with one that is supposed to sound like that...

cowprintrabbit:
I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice. I looked it over at the shop to make sure it was in outwardly good condition, and did the whole check thing whilst setting up my gear, but did not look for a model or maker...

Is there a brand that is notorious for this? I'd like to own gear someday and definately do not want to end up with one that is supposed to sound like that...
Could it have possibly been a Sherwood? Brut? Its a pretty tough reg and used allot for high volume rentals. The ONLY reason why this strikes a memory with me is because I just went to a Sherwood/Genesis repair seminar and the instr. covered this.

Believe it or not, its actually the spring inside the 1st stage. If its flipped over, then the noise goes away. Its the ONLY one that I know of where spring orientation makes a difference.

During regular maint/rebuild-it must have been inadvertanly flipped. I NEVER would have figured it out on my own, had the instr not covered it. On a side note, it will ONLY do it at depth(below10') so bench testing will not duplicate the problem.

He referred to it as a "long honking" sound.

Hope this helps.....

mikswi:
Could it have possibly been a Sherwood? Brut? Its a pretty tough reg and used allot for high volume rentals. The ONLY reason why this strikes a memory with me is because I just went to a Sherwood/Genesis repair seminar and the instr. covered this.

Believe it or not, its actually the spring inside the 1st stage. If its flipped over, then the noise goes away. Its the ONLY one that I know of where spring orientation makes a difference.

During regular maint/rebuild-it must have been inadvertanly flipped. I NEVER would have figured it out on my own, had the instr not covered it. On a side note, it will ONLY do it at depth(below10') so bench testing will not duplicate the problem.

He referred to it as a "long honking" sound.

Hope this helps.....

sorry, somehow just saw this...

I bet it was a Sherwood - most of what we rent seems to be - it was definitely a "long honking" sound, like someone squeezing a goose!

Back
Top Bottom