Squeaky ear when equalizing ( new diver )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanika24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone, I’m Tanika and I’m currently doing my Open Water in Cape Town, South Africa ( my home town ).
I just got on here today so I’m not sure how this all works but I’ve gotten the best diving tips from many people!

As a beginner I have so many questions but today I really want to ask about equalizing. It’s something I’ve been struggling with the most since I started my course. I’ve never had ear problems or problems equalising on land, the struggles came when I started doing my diving course and spending time in the water. Maybe my ears aren’t used to the water or pressure or having to equalise a lot. Usually it just takes me long to descend and my ears are sensitive to the pressure. But I do also struggle with mild allergies. It’s not all the time though and I do make sure I’m fine before diving.
A few days ago I went into the ocean for the first time and while I was equalizing, I heard a loud squeak. It wasnt like this at first but a few minutes into the dive, I’ve never had it and there was no pain. Just a loud squeak each time I’d equalize. What is this???? Usually I don’t hear a squeak when I do it. Was this congestion? Normal? An issue?
Days later now my one ear does feel squeaky/sticky/crackly when I open and close my jaw.

Apologies for typing so much! Any help would be amazing.
Thank you.

The hinges of my jaw contribute to my squeaks and crackles, both sides being different as are my ear noises

Hi everyone, I’m Tanika and I’m currently doing my Open Water in Cape Town, South Africa ( my home town ).
I just got on here today so I’m not sure how this all works but I’ve gotten the best diving tips from many people!

As a beginner I have so many questions but today I really want to ask about equalizing. It’s something I’ve been struggling with the most since I started my course. I’ve never had ear problems or problems equalising on land, the struggles came when I started doing my diving course and spending time in the water. Maybe my ears aren’t used to the water or pressure or having to equalise a lot. Usually it just takes me long to descend and my ears are sensitive to the pressure. But I do also struggle with mild allergies. It’s not all the time though and I do make sure I’m fine before diving.
A few days ago I went into the ocean for the first time and while I was equalizing, I heard a loud squeak. It wasnt like this at first but a few minutes into the dive, I’ve never had it and there was no pain. Just a loud squeak each time I’d equalize. What is this???? Usually I don’t hear a squeak when I do it. Was this congestion? Normal? An issue?
Days later now my one ear does feel squeaky/sticky/crackly when I open and close my jaw.

Apologies for typing so much! Any help would be amazing.
Thank you.
Hello Tanika!

What you are experiencing is normal, particularly if you are new to changing pressure. Based on what you have written here, you are handling it correctly: taking it slow on your decent/ascent. If during descent/ascent you feel discomfort, stop the descent/ascent and just hold your position. If the discomfort goes away, or you equalize, continue on slowly.

The "squeak" is also pretty normal, particularly if there was no pain, and it can be very surprising! If you are experiencing a lot of ear squeaking or feeling like your ears are waterlogged after a dive, consider an alchohol/vinegar solution ("ear beer") ear wash after your last dive of the day. It's really helpful keeping the ears dry.

Other than just being new to diving, your mild allergies may be the culprit for your equalization trouble (inflamed/congested sinus tissues). I don't like to recommend using medication for diving, but many divers with similar trouble (including myself) take Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) before diving. As a decongestant, it shrinks the soft tissues of your sinuses (including ear tissues). This helps me tremendously with equalizing during descent/ascent.

Hope this helps!

The squeaking is likely just the air making its way through a narrow Eustachian tube. If there's no pain, it's likely no big deal.

I strongly concur with DreadnoughtNH about "ear beer." I just use 70% rubbing alcohol, but an equal mix of this and the clearest white vinegar you can find is less harsh and thus safer.

I also strongly concur with DreadnoughtNH about the slow descents. You're doing it right!

I'll disagree on the recommendation of sudafed (pseudephedrine), however. Sudafed is great if you have a cold or allergies and AREN'T going diving. The concern is that it will metabolize faster under pressure and wear off underwater. That can lead to a reverse block. Similarly, avoid nasal spray versions of decongestants. They won't help with the ears.

I'm not a doc, but I think you'd be safer using an antihistamine like benadryl the night before (it acts for 24 hours) or a nasal spray corticosteroid like fluticasone ("flonase"). These basically limit the allergic reaction over the longer run, they don't just treat symptoms in the moment. I've had good luck with flonase when my allergy issues have been minor, then benadryl if I let it go to long before starting the flonase. Works like a charm. However, these aren't ideal if you have a cold that's causing the problem. (Well, antihistamines aren't: I understand they end up thickening mucus which is not good if you're fighting off some bug. Our pediatrician recommended flonase for one of our kids even when he had a cold.)

I'm not a doctor, and even if I were you really shouldn't take medical advice from the internet. Ask your own doctor about options that are consistent with diving. However, as an instructor and operating within my training, I would tell you not to use decongestants when diving.

Edits: A caution on antihistamines: Benadryl can make you drowsy, but in my experience (not good data, just an anecdote) that drowsiness is gone by the next day. More modern antihistamines don't make you drowsy and are probably a better option.

Also, I took a quick scan of medical literature which seems to be mixed on sudafed. Some say it's problematic and to be avoided, while others, based mostly on diver anecdotes, suggest that it may be beneficial for rookies.

Hello Tanika!

What you are experiencing is normal, particularly if you are new to changing pressure. Based on what you have written here, you are handling it correctly: taking it slow on your decent/ascent. If during descent/ascent you feel discomfort, stop the descent/ascent and just hold your position. If the discomfort goes away, or you equalize, continue on slowly.

The "squeak" is also pretty normal, particularly if there was no pain, and it can be very surprising! If you are experiencing a lot of ear squeaking or feeling like your ears are waterlogged after a dive, consider an alchohol/vinegar solution ("ear beer") ear wash after your last dive of the day. It's really helpful keeping the ears dry.

Other than just being new to diving, your mild allergies may be the culprit for your equalization trouble (inflamed/congested sinus tissues). I don't like to recommend using medication for diving, but many divers with similar trouble (including myself) take Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) before diving. As a decongestant, it shrinks the soft tissues of your sinuses (including ear tissues). This helps me tremendously with equalizing during descent/ascent.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for taking the time to type this out for me! I really appreciate it.
If I know I’m about to dive, days before could I start using a decongestant like Sudafed instead of on the day? I know that many people use it right before a dive but I do want to make sure that I’m safe from any reverse squeeze. Some people say you can take the decongestant on the day of the dive and others say you mustn’t. So I’m not sure. Would days before help me and be okay? I do think these mild allergies could be my issue, just like you explained. I’m also currently doing my course in winter and my allergies act up then because of the cold.

What about the crackling in my one ear when I open and close my jaw? ( to eat, yawn, talk )
It was only for a few hours then stopped, but it was a lot! because I do have sensitive ears after being in the water, I never know if it’s something bad or just my ears acting up and it’s normal. I will definitely try out the “ear beer” though.

Thank you again!

The squeaking is likely just the air making its way through a narrow Eustachian tube. If there's no pain, it's likely no big deal.

I strongly concur with DreadnoughtNH about "ear beer." I just use 70% rubbing alcohol, but an equal mix of this and the clearest white vinegar you can find is less harsh and thus safer.

I also strongly concur with DreadnoughtNH about the slow descents. You're doing it right!

I'll disagree on the recommendation of sudafed (pseudephedrine), however. Sudafed is great if you have a cold or allergies and AREN'T going diving. The concern is that it will metabolize faster under pressure and wear off underwater. That can lead to a reverse block. Similarly, avoid nasal spray versions of decongestants.

I'm not a doc, but I think you'd be safer using an antihistamine like benadryl the night before (it acts for 24 hours) or a nasal spray corticosteroid like fluticasone ("flonase"). These basically limit the allergic reaction over the longer run, they don't just treat symptoms in the moment. I've had good luck with flonase when my allergy issues have been minor, then benadryl if I let it go to long before starting the flonase. Works like a charm. However, these aren't ideal if you have a cold that's causing the problem. (Well, antihistamines aren't: I understand they end up thickening mucus which is not good if you're fighting off some bug. Our pediatrician recommended flonase for one of our kids even when he had a cold.)

I'm not a doctor, and even if I were you really shouldn't take medical advice from the internet. Ask your own doctor about options that are consistent with diving. However, as an instructor and operating within my training, I would tell you not to use decongestants when diving.
Thank you! This information helps a lot, especially when you explain it in depth.
I’ve wanted to see a doctor about the squeaking and crackling but I wasn’t sure if it was bad or if it’s normal. Same with whether to take a decongestant or not, I haven’t been sure what is best.
I also asked DreadnoughtNH this but could I take the decongestant days before but not actually on the day of a dive? would that be better or also not safe?

I heard a loud squeak.
Many divers put their chin into their chest as they try to equalize. Please stop. It pinches off the Eustachian tubes and makes you use an inordinate amount of pressure to equalize. Rather, point your chin up, which will straighten those tubes out a bit, and reduce the pressure needed to equalize.

Also, new divers often wait for pressure to build before they equalize. This can also interfere with those tubes. Start on the surface, and then do it before you feel pressure building up. If it feels like your using too much pressure, often ascending a bit and then pointing that chin away from your chest will allow you to be more comfortable.

Finally, snot in your sinuses can really stop things up. Sometimes blowing snot rockets, one nostril at a time will alleviate the mass allowing you to compensate normally. Yes, you can do this underwater. Them boogers make excellent mask defogging goo. :D

FWIW, once you've irritated your tubes, it's going to take a while for them to heal. Be easy on them. As easy as you can be.

Have fun and post often. Let us know when you finish!

Many divers put their chin into their chest as they try to equalize. Please stop. It pinches off the Eustachian tubes and makes you use an inordinate amount of pressure to equalize. Rather, point your chin up, which will straighten those tubes out a bit, and reduce the pressure needed to equalize.

Also, new divers often wait for pressure to build before they equalize. This can also interfere with those tubes. Start on the surface, and then do it before you feel pressure building up. If it feels like your using too much pressure, often ascending a bit and then pointing that chin away from your chest will allow you to be more comfortable.

Finally, snot in your sinuses can really stop things up. Sometimes blowing snot rockets, one nostril at a time will alleviate the mass allowing you to compensate normally. Yes, you can do this underwater. Them boogers make excellent mask defogging goo. :D

FWIW, once you've irritated your tubes, it's going to take a while for them to heal. Be easy on them. As easy as you can be.

Have fun and post often. Let us know when you finish!
Aaah thank you!! Awesome advice & I appreciate your reply!

Interestingly, I was encouraged to use Sudafed when I was completing my OW certification in Australia. I had a bit of a cold at the time and would likely not have been able to complete OW without it.

But before you start taking meds, I would focus on equalization to ensure that this is something you can master. And if your symptoms persist, you might want to consult an ENT doc just to rule out eustachian tube and/or related issues.

Thank you! This information helps a lot, especially when you explain it in depth.
I’ve wanted to see a doctor about the squeaking and crackling but I wasn’t sure if it was bad or if it’s normal. Same with whether to take a decongestant or not, I haven’t been sure what is best.
Couple of additional thoughts to the good advice offered already.

The crackling is pretty common and not otherwise a sign of damage provided it goes away in a day or two. Fullness in the ears or blood in the sinuses however is a more serious sign of barotrauma and indicates rest.

Prophylactic measures:

Before every dive: Inflating your ears on the surface/boat before descent is a good technique. Even a few feet of depth creates a pressure differential that can cause fluid leakage into the eustachian tubes which then makes equalizing more difficult-an ounce of prevention. I always inflate before I back roll/jump/descend.

I find descending feet first/head up for the first five-ten feet really helps me clear. Going head down makes clearing much harder and less effective.

A week or more before you start diving: A saline nasal rinse (e.g. NeilMed) is a good way to keep your sinuses clear of snot and allergy causing substances whether you're diving or not. This can be complimented by Fluticasone Propionate (generic for Flonase). You can instead add Budesonide (also a steroid). In the US Budesonide is by prescription and works the same way (only better) than Fluticasone which is over the counter.

I use a saline spray on airplanes since this makes my sinuses happy and more resistant to airborne bugs. Not as good as NeilMed but far more convenient in a plane.

After every dive: I use a 50/50 mix of 99% isopropal alcohol and white vinegar (aka Ear Beer). More an issue diving in fresh water caves but can't hurt in salt. Not the same as Swimmers Ear which is 95% isopropyl alcohol and is used as a drying agent. With Ear Beer the vinegar changes the Ph which kills the bacteria and the lower concentration of alcohol serves as both an anti-bacterial and a drying agent.

Treatment:

Decongestants like sudafed (behind the counter sudafed, not PE, which has been pulled from US shelves because it doesn't work) and Afrin are last resorts for me. Afrin works well/immediately but has a rebound affect and makes things worse after three days. This can be moderated if used together with Flonase/Budensonide but it's still nasty stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom