Spun composit cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...so let me see, lets buy this expensive composite cylinder, rated @ 106 cu. ft. @ 4350 psi, fill it to the typical / available 3000 psi , and we end up with 73 cu. ft. ??? !!!!

...somehow I fail to see the point in having this tank.....

Because some places do have 5,000 psi air.

N

wow, that answers a lot of questions. i plan on going with worthington x7-100 hp steel's, but thought composite tanks might just boost the cool factor a bit. not getting there any time soon though...college kid with a college kid budget and champagne taste...plus they dont seem functional. i sure would love 5000 psi though...thanks everyone!

Expensive, fragile, way too buoyant with all that buoyancy in the wrong place.Frankly, they're just about useless in diving. The weight saving in them is specifically intended to reduce the workload on people using them on the surface.

Just about the only use I can think of is if you were diving in a remote location and wanted a decant top-off between dives, they'd save you a bit of work dragging them to the entry point, but that's about it.

Would a reg handle the increase in PSI? Mine is rated to 3000 according to the stampings but I have used 3300 tanks before with no issue...what are the limits?

Of course, my SPG only goes to 4k anyway...

My #1 dive buddy Andrea has one. When she bought it, there was only one shop she knew of in Orange County (CA) that could fill it to full service pressure. My understanding is that they require hydro more frequently than steel or Al tanks and have shorter lifetimes.

Expensive, fragile, way too buoyant with all that buoyancy in the wrong place.Frankly, they're just about useless in diving. The weight saving in them is specifically intended to reduce the workload on people using them on the surface.
Lets not carried away or confused. There is to my knowledge only one composite cylinder approved for scuba use - the luxfer S106W. It is almost literally an S80 with a composite wrap, meaining it is an aluminum tank with carbon fiber over the top for extra strenght needed for the extra wall stress of higher service pressures. It's bouyancy is actually a bit better than the AL 80, so saying it is way too bouyant is inaccurate.

Besides, the cost, fragility, limited life span, high fill pressure required and lack of any advantage over an X7-100 gives everyone more than enough reason not to buy one.

Places that fill SCBA, such as fire stations.

...I don't frequent fire stations for gas fills, I thought that's what dive shops were for ? ...also, will they give you a 5000 psi Nitrox fill, or any sort of Nitrox fill, for that matter ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom