Spun composit cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS fills their high banks to 5000. It's not all that uncommon around here.

...um, I can't justify driving to Canada from Texas for fills. On any conceivable trip I've ever been on, or hope to be on in future, anything even remotely approaching a 5000 psi fill is pure science fiction....same thing with local dive shops here in Texas...nobody banks/offers anything like that.....and half the shops will read you the riot-act for even having the audacity of asking for any sort of an overfill, saying is a 'felony' to overfill a tank.....I feel blessed whenever I get one of my HP steels @ 3500-3600 psi !

Karl

There are really no DOT composite tanks on the market that exploit the advantages of the technology. The strong point for composite tanks would be 5.5" diameter or less and used as doubles or triples. Yes, they would be buoyant but even with the weight needed to make them slightly negative, the total weight could be less than HP steel of the same capacity. I have used properly designed composite tanks and really liked them. They are made by AGA and have unlimited life. Unfortunatly, not DOT approved.

One other advantage is you need only one V weight per diver, not one per tank set. A big help when you are transporting a lot of tanks. The V weight can also be moved around for trim.

By the way, since many SCUBA shops now fill paintball tanks, a lot of shops have upgraded to 5000 psi charging stations.

...um, I can't justify driving to Canada from Texas for fills. ........I feel blessed whenever I get one of my HP steels @ 3500-3600 psi !

Karl

Most shops that bank air can get you to 4000psi+ I'll check but I doubt 5000psi or close is an issue either. Equipment rated for constant pressure at 3500psi can usually produce much higher pressure as needed.

The fact that they have their dials fixed at 3200psi does not mean they can not do more. I'll have to check to see what our LDS capacity is! Just because they don't DO good fills does not mean the Can't!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom