Springs near Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the implication is that often for cavern dives, they do not allow you to take lights with you (Ginnie etc) because the temptation to venture beyond the limits of OW would be too great (presumably). So it is a privaledge to be able to carry a light at devils den- although personally I didn't rate the dive- of the options, I would go for Ginnie cos, as Andy says, you have several dive options in one- and its a nice place for a picnic.

H2Andy:
well... it's not me who makes the rules :14:

i was giving you info. as to what to expect. if you are OW, you can't carry
lights in the state parks and at Ginnie (the Ear and the Eye)

but you can carry lights at Paradise, Devil's Den, Ginnie (the Ballroom), and a few
others.

does it make sense?

ok that makes sense... I did not know that some springs/stateparks would not allow flashlights. The only spring I have dove is Vortex and there is a cave there and there are no rules about bringing flashlights in. Thanks for the heads up though.I guess if you wanted to carry one down you could simply place a small one in your bc pocket. I find them very uesful to just look under ledges or rocks. I do not plan on going down into no cave.

Got alotta $$? :)

$30 at Ginnie Springs, do a dive at Ginnie Spring and then another dive at the Devils System(Devils Eye, Devils Ear, and Little Devil - since you're not going into any caves, you'll be able to check out all 3 of these springs in one dive). Drive south a bit and dive at Blue Grotto($30) and then do a dive at Devils Den($30) which is across the highway, pretty much. Easily done in a day, I've done it.

Now that you're 4 dives down and $90 lighter, you have a day and a half to figure out what to do with your other 5 dives which will require a bit more driving in between em. Personally, I'd do em at Blue Spring and Paradise and save your money from Crystal River until its colder and you get to see the manatee's at the same time :wink:

Yea I have pretty much striked out Crystal River for that reason. I am strongly considering going to West Palm Beach instead of all the spring diving. The problem seems to be that most shops take only one boat trip a day and I want to do two if I make the drive.

There also Blue Grotto less than 1/2 mile from Devils Den. Me and a few other Conchers had a dive there this past weekend. At Grotto, you can get to 100 ft.( Not reccomended unless properly trained or you have experience at that depth).) It's a nice place but it does get crowded on the weekends. I'm with Andy, Ginnie is my favorite Spring dive.
Chris

SuPeRmAn: Sorry, didn't mean to repeat what you said. I replied off of the first page.

Itote:
SuPeRmAn: Sorry, didn't mean to repeat what you said. I replied off of the first page.

Reiteration isn't always a bad thing though :wink:

av8er23:
Yea I have pretty much striked out Crystal River for that reason. I am strongly considering going to West Palm Beach instead of all the spring diving. The problem seems to be that most shops take only one boat trip a day and I want to do two if I make the drive.

WPB has some great shore dives from what I understand :D I'd love to be in the position to be able to try em out!

Thank you guys for all your input.

I have decided to dive West Palm Beach on a boat dive one day.
Then I am going to travel to springs north of Orlando for about 3 days. I plan on diving
Devils Den, Blue Grotto, Paradise Spring, Blue Spring, & Ginnie.

If I am missing any good sites please let me know.

Thats plenty to keep you busy for 3 days, there are other springs in the area, but I think you have all the most popular ones for OW divers on your list. :D Well, except for a handfull of über sweet panhandle springs :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom