Springs near Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will have a couple of days in Orlando next month. I was looking to dive some springs and maybe get in the ocean also. I have researched this a little and want to get some opinions. Here are the ones that sound interesting to me.

Devil's Sink
Croaker Hole
Alexander Springs
Blue Spring- Orange City
Wekiwa Springs
Apopka Spring
Fourty Fathom Grotto
Paradise Springs
Crystal River

If you have dove these sites please feel free to share your experience and recommendations with me.

i have been to the following:

Alexander Springs: shallow (maybe 15 feet) and small. good for one dive
at most, and you'll be bored after 15 minutes. pretty, though... worth
seeing at least once

Blue Spring: very nice park. if you are cavern or above, you can carry lights
into the cave. goes down to 120 feet or so. without lights, you can dive
down to about 60 feet or so. it's a nice dive; very good if cavern certified.

Paradise Spring: you can carry a light here even if only OW. it's a nice dive, down
to about 100 feet. after that, it's a cave dive, and you shouldn't try it (the line
ends at the "death" sign... go no further unless trained; it's a small, silty place
in there).

Crystal River: in the winter, you can see manatees. you can dive Kings Spring,
it has a neat little cave. some shops offer tours. there's quite a few other
springs in Crystal River, most of them not very exiting to dive.

if i had to pick two, i'd do Blue Spring and Paradise Springs

I think some of the springs you have listed will require more than an OW cert to get access to, but either way, I think Andy's suggestions are great. You can get into those two springs and they are nice from what I've read :)

Devil's Sink
Croaker Hole
Alexander Springs
Blue Spring- Orange City
Wekiwa Springs
Apopka Spring
Fourty Fathom Grotto
Paradise Springs
Crystal River

Croaker Hole & the only spring I have knowledge of that might be called Apopka Spring require a boat to get to.

To the best of my knowledge, Wekiwa Springs is not open to diving.

I am assuming that Devil's Sink is Devil's Den. OW divers are allowed to dive here. I have only been there once, and that was quite a while ago, so I don't remember much. Long drive from Orlando, at least 1 1/2 hours.

I must admit, Alexander Springs is kinda like beer, an acquired taste. I love both beer & diving Alexander Springs.

Blue Springs. Closest to Orlando, great dive even in the OW, take a lot of time on the shallow drift back to the exit point, that can be the highlight of the dive sometimes. Put this one on your must-do list.

Forty Fathom Grotto. I have never been there, but my understanding is this. Either set up a dive in advance with someone who is allowed to lead dives there, or try to set up a dive with the owner. This isn't a drive up & dive solo type place, to the best of my knowledge. Once again, long drive, somewhat close to Devil's Den.

Paradise Springs. This dive site I place among the top two caverns that OW divers are allowed to dive. If visibility is good, this dive is like going to church underwater. If visibility is bad, well.... Slightly closer thant he last two to Orlando.

Crystal River. I have never been there, so I can't comment on the dive itself. A long drive from Orlando, though.

devil's den is ok... you can carry lights with just OW. above water, it's an awesome
view. underwater, vis is usually crappy from all the classes that go there

ginnie springs is awesome. the facilities are good.
you can carry a light with OW in the Ballroom; you can also do OW dives (with no
lights) at the Devil's Eye and at the Devil's Ear, and maybe, dependending on vis,
you can drift dive down the Santa Fe River

Ginnie is by far the better value, imho

yeah

H2Andy:
devil's den is ok... you can carry lights with just OW. above water, it's an awesome
view. underwater, vis is usually crappy from all the classes that go there

ginnie springs is awesome. the facilities are good.
you can carry a light with OW in the Ballroom; you can also do OW dives (with no
lights) at the Devil's Eye and at the Devil's Ear, and maybe, dependending on vis,
you can drift dive down the Santa Fe River

Ginnie is by far the better value, imho

I was just curious because above you made it sound like it was a privilage for ow divers to carry lights. I guess you were just implying a dive light was something that was recommended for those dives.

av8er23:
I was just curious because above you made it sound like it was a privilage for ow divers to carry lights.

well... it's not me who makes the rules :14:

i was giving you info. as to what to expect. if you are OW, you can't carry
lights in the state parks and at Ginnie (the Ear and the Eye)

but you can carry lights at Paradise, Devil's Den, Ginnie (the Ballroom), and a few
others.

does it make sense?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom