Spring Dive on Saturday, July 24th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrlandoRogue

Contributor
Reaction score
I might be coming back from a business trip early this week, so I was wondering if anyone was up for a cheap dive on Saturday? Possibly some local springs... I should know for sure tomorrow, but thought I would throw the option out. I am willing to drive up to 2 1/2 hrs from Central Florida, but basically just want to get wet and improve my skills. Let me know!

Alexander Springs is a possibility for me, but far from a certainty. The nice thing about Alexander is that you can solo dive there, if that is someting you are comfortable with. Alexander is one of the best places around for working on skills, and @ 5 bucks to dive, it is also the cheapest around.. I probably won't be able to give a definite until late in the week.

Hi
I will be passing through central Florida next week. I was wanting to check out some of the springs. Were is Alexander Springs? 5 bucks and solo is right down my ally.

Thanks

I thinks it's more like a sand Bath.
Do you still have to walk for ever to get there?
Last time I went we had to walk about 600 yards from the barkiing lot. That wasn't alot of fun.

OrlandoRogue:
I might be coming back from a business trip early this week, so I was wondering if anyone was up for a cheap dive on Saturday? Possibly some local springs... I should know for sure tomorrow, but thought I would throw the option out. I am willing to drive up to 2 1/2 hrs from Central Florida, but basically just want to get wet and improve my skills. Let me know!

i might be able to go i have to see. i will know later in the week.

Well, if you walked back & and forth a couple of times you could probably get 600 yards out of it. If you have a hood, wear it. It takes several showers before I can get all of the sand out of my hair after diving there. The hike to Blue Springs is longer, but you can get considerably more depth there.

Miller, Alexander is kind of between Ocala & Deland if you look on a map. Max depth of 27'. Kinda small, and some find it boring. PM me if you want exact directions.

Alexander Springs is fun the first time, especially if you haven't had the pleasure of diving our springs much. It is probably the safest place in all of Florida to solo dive and/or check out new equipment. I've been there twice and like Scubafool said, after a couple of trips most find it kinda boring. I will probably only go back with someone who hasn't been there before or with a newbie needing to work on skills.

If you go solo, its best to completely gear up in the parking lot and walk directly into the water, even if you get a bad parking spot, the walk is at most 200 yards.

One 80cf tank is enough to see everything. If you have a larger tank, or can bring two, you can dive all day for the $5 entrance fee.

OrlandoRogue:
I was planning on going to AS on Sat. to do a bit of work on my weighting. I would be happy to meet you there and show you around this very pretty spring. It's one of my favorites for just getting wet hanging out. Max depth around 23 feet. Interesting sand boils and a fun outflow that you can ride to the surface. I have found a couple of sharks teeth there. It's only about 45 minutes from where I live and it's only 5 bucks. The park also has nice trails that take you down stream for interesting SI.

Chuck

I can go to Blue Spring in the morn of the 24. And do a dive if anybody wants to go. I have a pass that will get 6 in for free.

BlueWaterDiving:
I can go to Blue Spring in the morn of the 24. And do a dive if anybody wants to go. I have a pass that will get 6 in for free.
Just a reminder. To dive Blue Springs you MUST show up with a buddy and unless both of you are cavern/cave certified you CAN NOT bring lights. And the Rangers there have quite the attitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom