Spring and river conditions post hurricane(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe its more of a kayaking weekend with nice flooded rivers giving good flow??? Will discuss what to do for the weekend and keep on hoping that we can finish off this cavern course one day! Otherwise i am thinking a trip down to the SW is in order for teeth - viz cant suck badly down there, or at least much worse than usual no matter what the weather is doing!! :wink:

This was on CDF from Ranger Janet.

PSSP is not open yet, road needs to be cleared, they got 4" of rain on that end of the county. We live on the other end of the county & got 13" so far. Lost power for two days just got back on line. Thanks to the workers from Alabama who came to help here. A stream called Little River, located on 252 between 137 & 49 has turned into a river, my neighbors pastures are underwater, just one corner of our property is flooding. We were land locked this morning & with the rain coming down we may be again. There was a tornado followed route 49 Sunday night, tore trees down, we lost two in the back pasture. You cannot step in the yard without tramping on tree limps. House, garage, horses, dog & we made it without damage so we are lucky. If anyone has heard from Andy Albury please post it, our calls cannot get through to his area of Sebastian. I did learn two things, need a phone that will work without power & we need a set of cards to while away the time.

Two out of three main options down. Looking at what SRWMD and others are showing on that NOAA site that John put up it doesnt look to hot this weekend.

Yeah, river is up 6ft, and rising. I assume everything along the Suwanee is going to be shot. Manatee might be ok.

Apart from the chance of downed trees and powerlines, what about other cavern type sites, like Paradise, Blue Grott and Devils Den, they arent directly linked to rivers, so i am hopeful if they are up and running that we can at least practice our line drills even if we dont get any actual instruction this weekend. Thoughts???

Oh and they are a whole load closer than the cave country area - particularly when there is a gas shortage in CF right now and getting leaner by the day as another cane gets people scrambling for stuff - again. :wink:

"Due to Hurricane Frances damage and river flooding, Ginnie Springs Outdoors is closed temporarily for all activities. "

This note is on the Ginnie Springs website. (www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com)

simbrooks:
Apart from the chance of downed trees and powerlines, what about other cavern type sites, like Paradise, Blue Grott and Devils Den, they arent directly linked to rivers, so i am hopeful if they are up and running that we can at least practice our line drills even if we dont get any actual instruction this weekend. Thoughts???

Oh and they are a whole load closer than the cave country area - particularly when there is a gas shortage in CF right now and getting leaner by the day as another cane gets people scrambling for stuff - again. :wink:
Good idea. Those are usually ok, probably want to call first though. I think Im going to Morrison myself. Vortex is probably fine too, and maybe some beach stuff.

GrierHPharmD:
"Due to Hurricane Frances damage and river flooding, Ginnie Springs Outdoors is closed temporarily for all activities. "

This note is on the Ginnie Springs website. (www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com)

I didn't see any advisory. I wonder if Ginnie is back open.

Right now Ginnie is closed and does not appear to be openning for the weekend. Can't get hold of anyone on the phone up there. The State Parks will not likely be open this weekend as well, subject to the onslaught of Ivan.(talking with a Fl Park rep today) In any case you need to call as to which park you wish to be going to. Usually Ginnie and Manatee are last to close for diving as far as cave diving. the private sites such as Blue Grotto, Devils Den or 40 fathom may still be open, I've not spoken to anyone of their reps as of yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom