Spouses make bad buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<---- Jealous, my wife fears water of all kinds. I think I've mentioned before how in the shower if the water goes into her eyes, she tenses up and rapidly wipes the water with her hands. If you observed it yourself, you'd think she was doused in acid.

She went on a cruise with me after 12 years of nagging and with much pursasion I finally got her to go in 10 feet of crystal clear water, on the surface with a pool noodle, mask and snorkel to look at some fishies. We were on Tinta Mare Island in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I was floating on cloud 9 for months after that and still have vividly fond memories, but hell will freeze over before she would even dream of scuba diving.

1. No
2. No
3. No

My wife didn't want to be bothered with my diving for 20 years. Then she was DX with MS and had to retire. We were living on our boat every summer and one-day she asked to go diving with me. So after some careful preparation over several days I took her down a whole 6' with me. It created a diving monster and has done wonders for her MS.

Anyone who pushes someone else into diving should have criminal charges filed. Peer Pressure is a very dangerous thing in this sport or business. Let them decide on their own.

Gary D.

devolution365:
The incident that started the conversation happened in an AOW class, so obviously they're speaking of splitting up spouses of all dive levels, not just AOW.

FYI: In re-reading the posts, they're doing this with children/parent teams as well.

During training, it is not uncommon. Particularly teaching children, it is no way the parent will participate on the same course as the child in the school I'm teaching in. This is simply because the child needs to listen to the instructor - Not the parent. And the parent, as a figure of authority will, in the child's mind, take precedence over the instructor.

I've had couples during O/W training who spent all day helping eachother, so when it came to the CW/OW training and the theory exams, we split them up, to make sure that they were both confident diving independently.

(And in some instances, that has resulted in one significant half getting certified, the other one not.)

with a good GF/wife or husband
1. no
2. no
3. no

with one like mine
1. yes
2. no
3. yes. i hope they would split us up on a boat so i could enjoy the dive.

I personally can't stand diving with my GF. She got certified because i was. I never pressured her. But she is also very jealous, and one of my friends is a diver and *she* asked me to go diving with her. I thank that is the reason she got certified. Pretty crappy reason, but when we dive together its all chaos. she doesn't even try to fin, i have to pull her around. She latches on like leach. doesn't understand signals. i would rather dive solo.

hope she doesn't read this board...

wheelietaco:
with a good GF/wife or husband
1. no
2. no
3. no

with one like mine
1. yes
2. no
3. yes. i hope they would split us up on a boat so i could enjoy the dive.

I personally can't stand diving with my GF. She got certified because i was. I never pressured her. But she is also very jealous, and one of my friends is a diver and *she* asked me to go diving with her. I thank that is the reason she got certified. Pretty crappy reason, but when we dive together its all chaos. she doesn't even try to fin, i have to pull her around. She latches on like leach. doesn't understand signals. i would rather dive solo.

Why not take a PPB class together so she can get some hopefully one-on-one instruction? If she's really that bad and since you're not that experienced, it's a potential disaster to continue diving with her. Telling her that she sucks is probably not going to help matters.

espenskogen:
During training, it is not uncommon. Particularly teaching children, it is no way the parent will participate on the same course as the child in the school I'm teaching in. This is simply because the child needs to listen to the instructor - Not the parent. And the parent, as a figure of authority will, in the child's mind, take precedence over the instructor.

I've had couples during O/W training who spent all day helping eachother, so when it came to the CW/OW training and the theory exams, we split them up, to make sure that they were both confident diving independently.

(And in some instances, that has resulted in one significant half getting certified, the other one not.)

...and I think that's the way it should be. The c-card is not issued to the buddy pair, but to each individual in the class. So, each person should be capable of doing all the skills independantly in order to be certified.

redhatmama:
Why not take a PPB class together so she can get some hopefully one-on-one instruction? If she's really that bad and since you're not that experienced, it's a potential disaster to continue diving with her. Telling her that she sucks is probably not going to help matters.

PPB? im lost. Yes I am not that experienced but diving is all I really do anymore. I have never told her she sucks. I have seen her fin great, and practice good diving. But that was in clear water. Unfortunatly we don't live where there is clear water. Our good viz is 4-6 ft. So its not that she sucks, she lacks the want to. She has no ambition to dive. She did it so I wouldn't be around other girls. Which caused alot more problems then just diving.

Also Everything I say on here. I have told her. I am an honest person.

devolution365:
...and I think that's the way it should be. The c-card is not issued to the buddy pair, but to each individual in the class. So, each person should be capable of doing all the skills independantly in order to be certified.

I don't see how people get certified without doing it independently. In my class that was not an issue. We had to assemble/disassemble our gear independently no matter if your buddy was your spouse or a total stranger. No help whatsoever and it was checked off by the AI. The SSI course I took didn't emphasize buddy diving until the end of the course. By then, everyone was independently gearing up and had accomplished most of the skills independently. If a person didn't accomplish a skill, then an assistant would take them aside - by themselves - and work with them until they mastered it. We had two married couples in the class and no issues at all.

I think this is an issue in class more so than in diving on a charter. I made a post recently about a DM who embarrassed two divers (they were married and they BOTH sucked) on a charter boat by telling them that they were basically overweighted airhogs. They were on an advanced dive boat and shouldn't have been. He managed to make them both better divers without splitting them up.

wheelietaco:
PPB? im lost. Yes I am not that experienced but diving is all I really do anymore. I have never told her she sucks. I have seen her fin great, and practice good diving. But that was in clear water. Unfortunatly we don't live where there is clear water. Our good viz is 4-6 ft. So its not that she sucks, she lacks the want to. She has no ambition to dive. She did it so I wouldn't be around other girls. Which caused alot more problems then just diving.

Also Everything I say on here. I have told her. I am an honest person.

PPB - Peak Performance Buoyancy. But her issue is something that could possibly be addressed with Night and Limited Visibility Diving class. A lot of people would have issues with the viz and proper training can help. A trip to Cozumel might do wonders. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom