Sports chalet or local LA dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would the gear prices be in line with what we see with sports chalet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sport Chalet is not known for having "the best price in town". Don't confuse price with VALUE. You can get a great price anywhere, (including Sport Chalet), and you can always get an even better price "somewhere else" after that. I would look to the independent shops mentioned above for a more unique overall experience, as these shops tend to have dive clubs, dive club meetings with great guest speakers, social events, trips, very experienced personnel for instruction and "all around mentoring", casual atmosphere, and engaged in environmental issues such as clean-up dives, etc. The bad news is that you have a lot of great options here in Southern California. I would make some calls, and target a few shops, including Sport Chalet and "go make some friends".

Would the gear prices be in line with what we see with sports chalet?

Most independent shops have special discounts for students. And also most shops have special discounts for cash & carry as well.

I don't think that Sport Chalet, as a big corporate chain, have that option. Besides, the shops can practically order anything for you. I don't know if Sport Chalet does special request orders.

In regards to gear, I know Hollywood Divers will price-match any other shops out there; plus they understand all their equipment, carry high-quality gear, can do maintenance on most of it and truly take care of their customers. There's also the 'Cheers' factor of going to a shop where everyone knows your name. :)

Karim Hamza and Steve Millington are both fantastic instructors, I would at least reach out to them to touch base.

Sport Chalet is having "Scuba month" all this June. 25% off of class tuition.
Internet price matching with authorized dealers. 10% off scuba gear while in a class.
As always, check with and/or interview any instructor no matter where you take your certification classes. There are some very accomplished instructors available in many different LDS's, stores and agencies.

Oh ya......I saw that too......I am thinking sc the more I examine the situation

Sport Chalet is not known for having "the best price in town". Don't confuse price with VALUE. You can get a great price anywhere, (including Sport Chalet), and you can always get an even better price "somewhere else" after that. I would look to the independent shops mentioned above for a more unique overall experience, as these shops tend to have dive clubs, dive club meetings with great guest speakers, social events, trips, very experienced personnel for instruction and "all around mentoring", casual atmosphere, and engaged in environmental issues such as clean-up dives, etc. The bad news is that you have a lot of great options here in Southern California. I would make some calls, and target a few shops, including Sport Chalet and "go make some friends".

The Sport Chalet in San Diego has all that and always has a better price than the independent shops. every time I have done a price comparison gloves, boots, hoods what ever Sports Chalet is always the best price. When they do their big tent sale you can really get some good deals.

Back
Top Bottom