Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Very close Mike and I am impressed. The condenser, which is indeed a capacitor, lets the magnetic feild collapse a bit more slowly, which makes the spark last a bit longer thus insuring ignition. Easily seen on an oscilloscope, this voltage decay tells us a LOT about the health of the points/condenser
partnership.

Don't be to impressed, I have a degree in electronics and almost 17 years in the field.
I agree that the the condensor will effect the decay rate of the coil (determined by the time constant of the circuit). The time constant of an LR circuit is L/R. The condensor has a lower impedence than the open points and lengthens that time constant.

Gee ... I didn't realize this was the car forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Gee ... I didn't realize this was the car forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Didn't you know? Netdoc and Mike are both TechDrivers!

MikeFerrara:
The problem is that I should know better than to disagree with you.
Why? Because I won't back down? Because I tell it as I see it? We don't always disagree, but I don't mind going toe to toe for something I believe in. I don't mind changing my mind either, should you provide adequate reasons for doing so.

But I clearly don't buy into your the "Dive Instruction is of the Debil" philosophy. You have your opinion on this and I have mine. I find your claims about the condition of instruction of our sport to be incredibly myopic, unsubstantiated and grossly exaggerated. I see the glass as half full, you see the glass as having inadequate standards for maintaining it's "fullness".

Bob,

I teach time & depth management using this tool. The Oceanic is so simple to set that almost no time is spent on that, but rather how to use the DC in it's setting. Planning of the "Big three" (time, depth and air) go hand in hand in how we plan our dives and check our plans thoughout the dive.

For many this is a situational awareness issue, and they will need quite a few dives to develop this.

Thalassamania:
With all due respect Mike, and you know that we see eye to eye on most training issues, there is not way to tell how dumb it is without seeing it in context, it maybe (though I doubt it) a boon that breaks loose more time which makes for a enhanced module on decompression theory. We need to wait and see. Table or computer, they're the same thing, just different ways to display ascent plans.

I agree which is why I conditioned my statement by saying "from what I've heard". My responses here have been directed at posts here more than they have at the policy inquestion, which I have no first hand knowledge of.

I got most of my automotive engine knowledge bulding and racing stock cars and the writing of the late great Smokey Yunick who I had the pleasure of meeting a time or two.

NetDoc:
Why? Because I won't back down? Because I tell it as I see it? We don't always disagree, but I don't mind going toe to toe for something I believe in. I don't mind changing my mind either, should you provide adequate reasons for doing so.

Don't be silly, I wouldn't want you to back down. I say that because sometimes you stray from the content of the discussion to more personal stuff...straw man and ad-hom type stuff.
But I clearly don't buy into your the "Dive Instruction is of the Debil" philosophy. You have your opinion on this and I have mine. I find your claims about the condition of instruction of our sport to be incredibly myopic, unsubstantiated and grossly exaggerated. I see the glass as half full, you see the glass as having inadequate standards for maintaining it's "fullness".

standards
An example...
I think that students should be required to demonstrate some level of proficiency during the tour portion of training dives. Using PADI standards for this example, there are NO performance requirements for the only part of the dive where the student is actually diving. They CAN literally crawl behind the instructor and meet the requirements. But...is a tour really even required? We can disagree on the significance of this but the requirements are printed for all who have purchased a copy to read.

I just can't help it, I have to give another. UW swimming is required to be taught in CW Mod 1 but buoyancy control isn't introduced until mod 3 so they are either on the surface or swimming along with their forheads skidding along the bottom. LOL and when it is introduced they can hover in any position rather than the one they intend or better yet, the most useful, horizontal...they are never required to get horizontal.

Oh and ascents and descents are taught before buoyancy control.
They are never required to ascend or descend with a buddy.
Oh and no mention of trim
No gas management
No demonstration of buddy skills in a diving situation is required.
Only one kick is required...the one that silts the most if you aren't horizontal.

These are all points that can be substantiated by a simple read of the standards. The results are easily demonstrated by watching divers in the water.

Disagree with me if you want but answer this. In a PADI OW course, how much time must the student spend midwater and what must they demonstrate while there?

NetDoc:
I agree with their policy. Why teach people to use something that is obsolete for %95+ of the diving world.

That is a gross exageration. For the average shore diving Joe that does 1 or 2 dives at a time tables are even irrelevant when going to 30-40 FSW as long as you take a reasonable SI.

I have a computer and it will be handy when I travel but for 80% of my dives it just accumulates trivia for my log.

The whole dive world does not revolve around boat diving to 100 feet.

To the OP:
This just smack of driving computer sales. Most divers never get far enough into the sport to break their gear in, let alone need a computer.

Pete

I had an eRDP I got for my wife. Had it in my dive log. Got it out the other day to check something...the screen was cracked and of course it wouldn't operate. It is a cheap piece of junk. I prefer the old hand chrts myself. If they crack, you tape them and use them anyway, if the screen cracks on the eRDP it is just junk to be thrown away.

mikerault:
I had an eRDP I got for my wife. Had it in my dive log. Got it out the other day to check something...the screen was cracked and of course it wouldn't operate. It is a cheap piece of junk. I prefer the old hand chrts myself. If they crack, you tape them and use them anyway, if the screen cracks on the eRDP it is just junk to be thrown away.

No, to be fair, its "Put Another Dollar In". The new and improved disposable dive tables....

Personally, I think tables should still be taught. I also believe computers and computer use should go with it. To exclude either, in my opinion, is a disservice to the students. (with tables, I mean to old analog style not the digital device. It need not be anything more than a couple pages in the textbook though)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom