Spool line options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking to put a minimum of 200 feet of usable line on a spool for SMB use. I know I can do that with the flat braid line on the spool I have, but I've only found it for sale from Piranha Dive Mfg, and only in 100 foot lengths. Dive gear express sells replacement line for the apeks lifeline spools, which I think is flat braid ($40/200 feet). They also sell the Divesoft PES line that is stiffer, but similar in diameter ($40/200M, so 1/3 the price).

Does anyone have experience with the PES line? How would it work for a spool?
Any known sources for flat braid cave line?

Piranha has 660ft spools

All I found was the standard 24# line, not the flat line. Am I just missing it?

This is the only one I'm finding:

If it is a spool you use regularly, stick with normal line. The flat line is nice for an emergency spool that you rarely use. It twists and tangles if you are using and manipulating it all the time.

Generally a backup. Since I usually have my hands full of scooter mounted camera, I'm not the designated deployer. I have one with the flat line that I have only launched one time, and it didn't seem to be a problem. But I can see it becoming a mess with repeated use. I'll stick with some 18# line and see how much I can get on there.

If it is a spool you use regularly, stick with normal line. The flat line is nice for an emergency spool that you rarely use. It twists and tangles if you are using and manipulating it all the time.
I've also found that the flat line is much more likely to catch on itself and tug the spool (potentially rip it from your gloved hand) when paying out a lot of line when shooting an SMB from depth, requiring extremely careful rewinding, and I didn't find that worth it at all. Going back to plain old round line is much easier to manage when winding and unwinding. I'd go further on your comment and say that in an emergency, something that is less futzy is far better, even if it takes up ever so slightly more room in your pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom