Line on a spool: Flat, twisted, or braided?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prices on UHMWPE, Dyneema, Spectra or Amsteel are all ridiculously cheap now days.
Thin 1.9mm at 250ft holds 500+ pounds pulling and takes up only half the space on a reel is just $30 all over the internet.

Akimbo, If I understand you correctly you have 20 feet (6 meters) of 1inch/25mm nylon wrapped around the DSMB. That implies that during the launch process of the DSMB you unwrap the line prior to the inflation of the DSMB. I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on your procedures for managing the webbing while you prepare and launch your DSMB.

Yes, I unfurl the webbing at my 20' or 10' decompression stop or 15' safety stop. That stainless bolt-snap you see in the image is heavy enough that I can just grab the end of the rolled bag, hold it vertically, and swirl my wrist in as the webbing unwinds. I then hold my hand very loosely around the hanging webbing just under the bag as I inflate it. I usually blow a small puff into the bag (regardless of the line I'm using) to make it float a little before giving a good blast of air. The webbing slides through my hand as I watch the bolt-snap so I can grab the webbing in case I sank a little too deep.

I suggest practicing with gloves a few times just to get the rhythm but I have done it gloveless in the tropics quite a number of times and never noticed any abrasion. You can just inflate it without holding when there is low current and then swim up to the webbing once the buoy hits the surface.

I have not had to do it but you can clip the bolt-snap to a D-ring if the situation goes bad and you need both hands to help someone or mess with gear.

I usually quickly (sloppily) wrap the webbing around the inflated buoy after surfacing so I can hand it up to the boat and climb the ladder. Ideally I get out of my gear before deflating the buoy to roll it and re-wrap the webbing. It is easier if you are not underway so you can let the webbing hang over the side as you re-roll it. I don't think I have ever had a tangle or knots to deal with in the webbing except when I was experimenting with the idea on land. Hope this makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom