Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

No split. Fair enough. At least I offered a solution.

I think some of you misunderstand my position. I'll go toe to toe with anyone online or otherwise :) I can easily handle an online debate as you can see I had no problem taking on the entire BP/W group right here. The issue is not with me. I'm willing to stand up to "internet experts" but many are not. Instead most seem to just withdraw from posting.

Take a look back six months ago at the posts in the BCD forum. There were lots of discussions on various types of BCDs both BP/W and Non-BP/W. Many more posters active on the forum. Even more BCD manufacturers active. I can't remember the last time I've seen Zeagle post in there.

Now flash forward to today. The same Non-BP/W threads get little attention or response, while BP/W threads thrive on cheerleading and conflict. Lots of bickering sometimes spinning into inane arguments between the makers of BP/W's and their flunkies. Less and less non-BP/W users will voice an opinion. Not a positive move forward in my opinion.

As I said before this is not about me. I will more than likely end up owning a BP/W and I can handle myself online, but watching the negative spin on the BCD forum reduce the overall number of posters in unfortunate to watch.

At the very least I hope bringing this to light will make the vocal minority think about how their actions on the forum effect the overall board.

Jarrett...

sometimes people will let no good deed go unpunished. Look at the responses when I first entered this discussion. People put words into my mouth. Big whoop, I guess I am incredibly used to it.

I also hope that those who preach BP&Wings over all else will give it a rest. It's NOT how the rest of the world dives and neither is it how the rest of the world needs to dive. My trim does not suffer when I go from my trusty Oceanic Chute II to my impressive camouflaged DSS BP&Wing. I can achieve the same trim wearing a BC that I have never worn before and I have proven that many a time. Getting a BP&Wing is not a panacea for good diving. It won't check your gauges for you and it is horrible at making decisions at depth.

i think this discussion has been useful in many ways. for example, i think many bp/wings supporters should have a sense now of how they are perceived by the BCD supporters ...

it would make sense for us to be more measured in our zeal while still responding to questions honestly (i.e. i still love the bp/wings the best)

likewise, the BCD supporters should also see how they are perceived, and not be so defensive just because someone mentions a bp/wings solution

H2Andy:
i think this discussion has been useful in many ways. for example, i think many bp/wings supporters should have a sense now of how they are perceived by the BCD supporters ...

it would make sense for us to be more measured in our zeal while still responding to questions honestly (i.e. i still love the bp/wings the best)

likewise, the BCD supporters should also see how they are perceived, and not be so defensive just because someone mentions a bp/wings solution
I agree Andy...it has been useful. At the bottom of it all I believe that you have correctly identified it as zeal.......rather than horrible malicious conspiracy! :D As such it's pretty easy to know in any given thread whether the OP might appreciate a new suggestion or is actually not looking for one, but simply wants his/her question answered. While it's not fair to supress a group of people, it's also not fair to allow them to appear to be in a majority which they most certainly aren't - whatever they believe to be the benefits of their given choice. I'm sure it's nothing that a little awareness and possibily an occasional push can't handle though.

I really hate splitting forums. I can scan an extra 20 or 30 post headings about things I am not interested in in a fraction of the time I can back out of one forum and into another, so unless a forum is generating enough posts to stand by itself as a first level forum splitting it just makes it that harder to access. There are several forums I ought to follow that I just don't read very often, because they are buried so deep, and see so little activity that it just isn't worth the effort. The DIY gear forums are a good example.

So I would say keep just one BCD forum, and maybe unsplit a bunch of the others.

I think a prerequisite, guide line, or measuring stick of a BP/W interjection should be that the poster provide manufacture and model, not just "buy a BP/W It's better".
You never hear Jacket or back inflate say, "Buy a Jacket it's better", they generally say I use OMS model XXX, Or Oceanic model XXX.

that's probably because bp/wings are so similar from manufacturer to manufacturer

i mean, a plate is a plate, a wing is a wing

Mafiaman:
You never hear Jacket or back inflate say, "Buy a Jacket it's better"

Fancy that.

Mr Evad, your last 3 remarks only serve to bolster the position that BP/W poster are argumentative, persistent, and over bearing.

What words of wisdom will you share with us next?
Naan Naany Poo Doo? :rofl3:

H2Andy:
that's probably because bp/wings are so similar from manufacturer to manufacturer

i mean, a plate is a plate, a wing is a wing

That is pretty funny Andy. I made a similar comment in a thread recently and Mr. Evad replied:

"If your senses are blunt enough."

Back
Top Bottom