Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

*Floater*:
Okay, but if the BCD forum is split into bp/w and non-np/w forums, then in which one should discussion of Transpacs be allowed in since it's a hybrid?

I haven't suggested it should be split. In fact I would probably vote against it.

I think splitting the forums is a silly suggestion. Asking people to respect an OP's wishes combined with some friendly moderation (if necessary) should be sufficient.

Perhaps we need a 30 day gag order on those who have newly purchased a BP/W. . . :)

Of course if I were Cerich and my job was in SB advertising, a split forum would mean more potential ad revenue from the additional banners. . .

Jarrett:
I...but again the vocal minority is overwhelming the discussion and subsequently silencing the majority which will ultimately hurt the board as a whole.

No one is silencing anyone, you are still posting. If the majority want to weigh in on the issue then they should. It could be (MIGHT be, not saying that it is) that the majority don't agree with your idea to split the forums. It may be that the majority of board members don't care if the forum is split or not. There is no coersion, arm twisting, or threatening people to not speak their mind. If the majority is out there and have an opinion either way, then by all means, please chime in.

*Floater*:
Okay, but if the BCD forum is split into bp/w and non-np/w forums, then in which one should discussion of Transpacs be allowed in since it's a hybrid?

helllo????

the Transpac forum...

geez...

See, the BP/W vs BC argument is just too irresistable for so many of us, as is made clear by the side tracks in this thread. Splitting the forum would only serve to quash one of the most hotly debated topics on the BC forum. Could be kind of boring, don't you think? Why would anyone want to deprive the BC forum of this classic topic?

Jarrett:
I was hoping I wasn't the only one noticing this :) The flow of this thread basically proves my point. Not only by twisting this into a BP/W discussion, but again the vocal minority is overwhelming the discussion and subsequently silencing the majority which will ultimately hurt the board as a whole.

This IS nutty, but entertaining. Like a Baby Ruth.

H2Andy:
helllo????

the Transpac forum...

geez...
Duh.........of course!

Some people don't get it Andy. Personally I think pink BCDs should also get their own forum....it's just not fair how black BCD owners treat them!

One day SB will probably evolve into one of those adventure games....you know...hidden floor plans.....can't find anyone...lots of hidden secret rooms! :eyebrow:

C'mon people.......you shouldn't just believe everything you read on an Internet board......or let others bully you. What's best? Asking for a private room so you can be protected?...or just standing up for your point of view to begin with! The Moderators exist to ensure that you CAN ya know! :wink:

Kim:
Personally I think pink BCDs should also get their own forum.

Couldn't that be subsumed under the "What color is your TransPac" sub-forum? Do you really need a whole nother forum?

Kim:
The Moderators exist to ensure that you CAN ya know! :wink:
Well Kim,

the predominant opinion seems to be that the Mods need to be more aggressive in the BCD Forum. Phasers on stun only, please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom