Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

Don Janni:
Other than to better support twin tanks or side mount and the like, there's nothing you can do in your bp/w better than I can do in my BC.

i don't know... you haven't tried my bp/wings

:wink:

but i think the issue was one of allowing BOTH sides of an issue to speak, and not to try to silence one side over fears of the other side being "silenced"

if you do that, you have basically accomplished what you feared would happen ... one side has been silenced by the other

man, set the market forces free and let them rip

H2Andy:
i don't know... you haven't tried my bp/wings

Are you somehow suggesting that I would be a better diver if I used a BCD like yours?

H2Andy:
but i think the issue was one of allowing BOTH sides of an issue to speak, and not to try to silence one side over fears of the other side being "silenced"

if you do that, you have basically accomplished what you feared would happen ... one side has been silenced by the other

man, set the market forces free and let them rip

You've never tried one of my BC's either.

Actually, I think the market place has already spoken.

Don Janni:
Actually, I think the market place has already spoken.

lol... the problem with the marketplace is that it keeps on speaking =)

btw, i meant the marketplace of ideas, not a real marketplace, but i see my statement is ambiguous

Don Janni:
Andy, I'm pretty passionate about my gear too and it's not the passion I was talking about and you know that.

Other than to better support twin tanks or side mount and the like, there's nothing you can do in your bp/w better than I can do in my BC. Absolutely nothing.

That may be, but if they are basically the same for single tank diving, but the other can also be extended to doubles, then isn't it better for the new diver to get the rig with this additional option, just in case, if the prices are also comparable?

Also, I'm not sure about what your rig is like, but I like that I can slap a small 17-20# lift wing on my plate for diving AL 80's in warm water or use a 30# wing for colder water, and if I don't like the wings or new better ones are invented, then I can switch to those without having to replace the plate/harness and accessories. Or if the plate is too big or small then I could sell it and buy a different one without having to replace the wing and harness... But I'm getting into the classic bp/w vs. non-bp/w bcd discussion again, so I'll stop here. Sorry.

*Floater*:
That may be, but if they are basically the same for single tank diving, but the other can also be extended to doubles, then isn't it better for the new diver to get the rig with this additional option, just in case, if the prices are also comparable?

Also, I'm not sure about what your rig is like, but I like that I can slap a small 17-20# lift wing on my plate for diving AL 80's in warm water or use a 30# wing for colder water, and if I don't like the wings or new better ones are invented, then I can switch to those without having to replace the plate/harness and accessories. Or if the plate is too big or small then I could sell it and buy a different one without having to replace the wing and harness... But I'm getting into the classic bp/w vs. non-bp/w bcd discussion again, so I'll stop here. Sorry.

A TranspacII and a Stiletto.

EDITED for ASH

*Floater*:
If backplates and wings are indeed gaining market share among recreational divers then there is nothing weird about them gaining recommendation share over in the BCD section. Now some people are asking for hard data knowing full well that the posters here don't have access to it, but it works the other way too. Namely, many here seem to be assuming that the high interest in bp/w's on SB is not reflected in real world trends, BCD sales patterns and user satisfaction with no hard data to back it up.

I think this missed my point. No one is asking for hard data, but it seems that some are using the argument of market share as being relevant for the forum-splitting discussion, trying to establish a quantitative argument. However, neither they or anyone else has such data, and hence such an argument cannot be made.

I also contend that such an argument, even if possible, is not relevant to the question here. The bottom line question is if discussions on non-BP/Ws are being hindered because of the presence of many BP/W posters, and if so would splitting up the forum actually have an impact. There have been many people, both BP/W advocates and jacket users, that have expressed that this would not be necessary or likely help this problem if indeed it is a problem. There have been very few who have advocated for splitting.

You too, Don.

Let's not have that discussion here, please.

Don Janni:
And yes... you are make it another which is better debate.
Woah! I said I was done posting, but that's not fair. YOU started making it a "which is better" debate when you posted "Absolutely nothing."

Sorry... I'm out.

Don Janni:
A TranspacII and I can slap different wings on it just like you can on your bp/w. As I said before the only difference is the hunk of metal you use as a back plate and where its merits came into play.

I also have a Stiletto and in some ways I like it better.

And yes... you are make it another which is better debate.

Okay, but if the BCD forum is split into bp/w and non-np/w forums, then in which one should discussion of Transpacs be allowed in since it's a hybrid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom