Split vs. Regular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can a Moderator please do something about this? What are we? In Kindergarten?

I have a pair of Apollo Bio-fin Pro and a pair of Scubapro Jetfins and they are both great in their own ways. Splitfins can be a lot less work to use and is very good for surface swimming but I have found that I am using my heavier Jetfins more and more just because they work so well (IMHO)in any situation i.e. current, frog kick etc. As for speed, yes, the Apollo is faster - so what?

It's not a race when you get into the water, guys!

I like the splits because of the easy using, but you have to try everything out, one's opinion is far different from yours.

Hey everybody,
I have used Mares Avanti Quattro's for 4 years through 80+ dives. I have liked them well enough, but I have always felt that I just didn't have the strength in my legs to pump these large blades. Long swims left me very fatigued. That being said, I never was unable to keep up the horsepower. I just felt winded. (I am a fitness runner so it is not that I am a donut eating couch potato...). Anyways, I picked up a pair of Scuba Pro Twin Jets yesterday on a whim and took them to the lake today for a little test drive.

Results: I have to tell you that I went into the water skeptical. I have read most if not all the posts on this board concerning pros and cons so I was very critical as I hit the water. Long story short, I am sold. I made a surface swim with my BP/Wing of about 50 yards with no problem. This was accomplished on my back so to speak so in my experience the concern over not being efficient on the surface was found to not be a problem. In addition, my buddy, who is still equipped with the Quattros, did not outpace me at all. We then dropped down to the bottom in about 40 feet and made a little swim to a training platform. I found that the swim stroke felt effortless and I was outpacing Sherri so much that I received a few comments from her following the dive about how fast I was going. Now, I was not trying to blow her away, and I was very concious of effort in an attempt to evaluate the fins. When is was all over, I felt very good about the switch. I will be using them in Catalina the week of Oct 14th and if I find anything else to report, I will post following the trip. Meanwhile, they get the thumbs up from me.

This thread has created quite a lot of heat. Split vs. Regular fin debates usually do.

If I may I'd like to ad my honest opinion. I'm 36 and I've been diving on and off since I was 12. I dove paddle style fins forever (that's really all there was) Then there was a period of time where I didn't dive for like 5 years. Anyway my friend got into diving and he got me to go. I used his friend's rig and in that rig was a pair of Oceanic V12's. On my first dive I was in love with them! They were so easy, no effort just great! I really loved Split Fins. I still own a pair of Black Scubapro Twin Jets, Oceanic V12's and a pair of Tusa FF9 (full foots). Anyway, I stumbled across this board and I began to read..and read. Then after scrolling past it a hundred times I decided to read that thing called DIR. I read and read and asked a million question (just ask Mo2Vation or Boogie711) I most definitely don't want to incite a DIR debate but it was what I personally was looking for. One thing that stood out was the insistence on Regular JETS. I thought "you mean those giant heavy bulky stiff rubber fins from the stone age????" but because I wanted to peruse DIR and because of listening to members I have tons of respect for on this board that said they were great I said, "Ok I'll buy a pair and give 'em a try" I gotta tell you the first few times I hated them...big time! They felt like two pieces of ply wood on my feet. After several dives I slowly started to get it..you need to get the touch with these things. Then I started to get the notion of stability, and precision, and best of all I was taught how to kick right and just chill. Now after getting used to the Jets the splits feel to loose to me.

So the moral of the story is stay out of the DIR forum and ever get used to Jets.

No just kidding. I'm sorry if anyone who is in favor of splits has been offended by me or anyone else but I was there (look at some of my early posts..I was a full on Split fan...) but now that I'm a Jet fan in pursuit of DIR (if I can ever find a DIR F class) I just usually take the Jet side of the debate.

Think how boring this web site would be without a few heated debates.

Step back and think about what we are getting so heated about...fins. Scuba Fins...wild huh?

Best to all. :)

-Chris

Quarrior:
I have two bad knees. So, here's my input. I use both a split fin and a non-split.

At the same time? One on each foot?

Personally I like to wear the same model of fins on both feet. :eyebrow:

Debating is fun, till people take it to serious (HUMAN NATURE) ..lol...It's your own personal opinons on which ever fin you like. I can't tell you what movie you like you have too decide and experiment for yourselfs. But I think Splits are the best (IMHO).
Ease of movement is amazing, Jet Fins are ok, not bad, but ok, Turtles are out of the debate for me (Have nothing good to say except they make me sink)

Anyone have a life Vestttttttttt....gulp gulp gulp...........

Green_Manelishi:
At the same time? One on each foot?

Personally I like to wear the same model of fins on both feet. :eyebrow:
You must lead a really boring life. I like challenges. :wink:

Quarrior:
You must lead a really boring life. I like challenges. :wink:

.....LOL......ONE SPLIT ON ONE FOOT, JET ON THE OTHER.....

I bought a pair of Jet fins in 1969 from Hal Watts... I still own them. Unfortunately, they are just too small! I never dove with neoprene back then.
I bought a pair of Twin Jets when they first came out. Whoa dude! I was not exerting myself to keep up anymore.
This past year I treated myself to another pair of Jets, but got the extra large size. They are awesome in the caverns and wrecks!

So, I will use the proper fin for the proper dive... OW dives get twin jets. Overhead environments get Jets

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom